HELP! Ross student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctadocta29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I attended Ross university school of medicine for only two weeks and then hurricane Maria came and destroyed not only the school, but also the island of Dominica. To keep it short, Ross has decided to continue the semester on a cruise ship.... that's right a cruise ship. They are forcing my hand to attend classes on it or I can ask for a leave of absence until next cycle BUT I will have a "W" on my transcript. Just to be clear, I really did enjoy every second taking classes over in Dominica. The curriculum was great and so were the professors. But now things are changed for the worse.

I would just like to know how bad is a "W" on my transcript for two weeks due this situation and if it should even matter?
Should I just tough it out? or wait for January?
Should I apply to some DO programs? Will that take the W into account?

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how DO programs would look at an ex Carb student, but if you have a good gpa/MCAT (like ones higher than their averages) they might bite? Not sure though. I don't think I have the knowledge/experience to comment on that or how badly the W would look but, what would you do in the meantime if you don't continue? I think if it were me, I would probably tough it out but I don't have a lot of details to go off of here.

And...about the Cruise ship thing??? How does that even work? And what about it would be so terrible for you? Just genuinely curious about the logistics of that one...I googled it and it indeed seems that you are not joking.

Use this as a sign from God and get your refunded tuition/leave that place. Jump on a cruise boat (not the one they are sending you on) and take a week vacation to reward yourself for making the right decision. Then figure out if you can apply to DO schools/figure out a different path to becoming a medical professional that doesn't involve training on a cruise boat or hurricane wasteland.

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why you considered Ross over DO in the first place.

Reactions: 18 users
Thank you guys for the for replies! I spoke to a local DO school and they believe I am a good candidate, also they accept January scores just in case. I'm just not sure how a W will look on my transcript. I am also a bit older so I wanted the quickest path.

The cruise works by having both students and teachers on the ship and having regular classes. I will not have anatomy lab :( also i am not sure about sleeping arrangements, study conditions, and ect. It just doesn't seem idea.

Do you think I can get a refund through FAFSA? I will call them Monday as well as to visit more schools to ask for their opinions.

Please feel free to keep commenting! I want more input.

If you talked with a DO school and they sounded positive, I would definitely head that route. You will have more doors open for you that way and the extra time spent to get there will be worth it. If you hurry up and submit applications (if your numbers are decent) you might could start at one by next fall.

Reactions: 7 users
This is actually all just Ross kicking the tires on a medical school permanently on a cruise ship.

Reactions: 8 users
This is actually all just Ross kicking the tires on a medical school permanently on a cruise ship.
Lol. That would be awesome.
giphy.gif

Take a cruise ship 15 miles out everyday and start classes.

Reactions: 12 users
If you can get into a DO school then I would do that.

Otherwise - enjoy that cruise ship! Man that would be awesome. School, on a cruise ship??? Bust out those scopolamine patches and get some sun! Shoot - I would LOVE to go to school on a cruise ship.

Reactions: 4 users
They're really ramping up their recruitment strategies.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I attended Ross university school of medicine for only two weeks and then hurricane Maria came and destroyed not only the school, but also the island of Dominica. To keep it short, Ross has decided to continue the semester on a cruise ship.... that's right a cruise ship. They are forcing my hand to attend classes on it or I can ask for a leave of absence until next cycle BUT I will have a "W" on my transcript. Just to be clear, I really did enjoy every second taking classes over in Dominica. The curriculum was great and so were the professors. But now things are changed for the worse.

I would just like to know how bad is a "W" on my transcript for two weeks due this situation and if it should even matter?
Should I just tough it out? or wait for January?
Should I apply to some DO programs? Will that take the W into account?

PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU!
The fact that you're a Ross student is far more hurtful to your career than any W grade.

You'd be DOA at my school. We look down upon Carib refugees because the MD degree was more important to you than actually becoming a doctor.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Reactions: 25 users
The fact that you're a Ross student is far more hurtful to your career than any W grade.

You'd be DOA at my school. We look down upon Carib refugees because the MD degree was more important to you than actually becoming a doctor.

Beds on cruise boats can be rather nice as long as you don't get seasick

Reactions: 10 users
I can't even imagine what is going to be happening on a cruise ship with a bunch of stressed out medical students all staying together for an extended period of time. It'll be like Gronk and Manziel decided to do a party together

Reactions: 10 users
Give it some time before we have Ross students on these forums boasting about how LCME students don't get as much hands-on path experience as they do.

Folded in fellowship for infectious disease, first enfolded fellowship for medical students.

Reactions: 7 users
Folded in fellowship for infectious disease, first enfolded fellowship for medical students.
I thought they were already experts in tropical diseases since they had to go through the hardship of living on a tropical island.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure why you were fine going to Ross, but now that your med school is gonna be on a cruise you want to *ahem* jump ship. It seems like any med school being on a cruise ship could only enhance the situation for the better.

I hope this means that if a student fails a class, they are told to walk the plank.

Reactions: 27 users
Sorry for not contributing, but do you guys at least get a free buffet? Like... That is the only reason I enjoy going on a cruise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Not a cruise ship. It's a roll on/roll off large long haul ferry. They operate all over the med. Clean and nice enough for a 36 hour transit.

Looks pretty bad. No wifi. No guests. Required roommates. No refunds. No pets. No anatomy lab.
No f’ing wifi?

Dang, seems like a pretty hard adjustment, I quoted some of the more interested answers below. Also, how does anatomy without cadavers meet standards?

19. How will anatomy lab be conducted? Will we still be using human cadavers or will we be using some type of virtual software now?
There will be no dissections. Non-dissection based alternatives will be available via lectures as well as virtual software (Complete Anatomy) to meet curriculum standards.

39. How will we do laundry in the ship?
There will be limited laundry facilities on the ship.

40. Is there an option to not have a roommate?
Due to space limitations on the cruise ship, the current plan is for all students to have at least one roommate.

41. Will there be WIFI on the ship?

Limited wireless WIFI will be available on board the ship and is restricted to education use only. Students are required to attend lectures and the plan is for MediaSite, to be used as a supplemental teaching tool.

42. Will we have a fridge and/or a microwave in our cabins?
No refrigerators or microwaves are permitted in the cabins.

61. Do we have to pay for food on the ship?
RUSM students receive three meals per day, including water, iced tea and coffee. Soda and snacks are available for purchase.

62. How will we be getting our prescription medication?
Students are encouraged to secure all medication in advance of your travel to St. Kitts.

63. Will we be able to use Ross Vet location as a study space?
Due to space limitations, RUSVM study spaces cannot accommodate to RUSM students. The current plan includes study space to accommodate all RUSM students residing on the cruise ship.

64. How much are we allowed to bring with us (study supplies, shampoo, soap, food, etc.)?
Due to limited cabin space, all students are advised to bring one piece of luggage and one carry-on.

^^^ Official FaceBook post with lots of comments too.

Reactions: 6 users
Calling it now. OP is a troll. They wouldn't have been this concerned with their education if they decided to attend Ross. They also wouldn't have been this skeptical of a cruise ship as a temporary location if they weren't skeptical of the advertising Ross recruitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Just out of curiosity, is it even legal to force students to still attend Ross? I don't see how it is ethical to bind someone to a contract when the original SOM they were attending/planned to attend has been moved to a Ship.
What if students get sea-sick every day?

This makes Ross looks worse than it already did haha.

It sucks, but your best option is to stay on the ship and finish your education at Ross. Jumping ship now will only further complicate the matter since nobody like a Caribean drop-out either.

Reading that Q&A from Ross made me feel seasick...nothing has ever read like more of a scam than that, shame on them :sendoff:

Reactions: 3 users
Reading that Q&A from Ross made me feel seasick...nothing has ever read like more of a scam than that, shame on them :sendoff:
IDk, it didnt feel like an additional scam. It felt like they were just trying to make things work in a difficult situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Caribbean schools have always left a sour taste in my mouth, but this makes me hate Ross even more. Wow... At least give these students some type of reimbursement.

58. How much will the semester tuition be prorated since we have lost at a minimum four weeks?
There will not be a reduced tuition. Students will receive a full semester of instruction.

Dang, seems like a pretty hard adjustment, I quoted some of the more interested answers below. Also, how does anatomy without cadavers meet standards?

19. How will anatomy lab be conducted? Will we still be using human cadavers or will we be using some type of virtual software now?
There will be no dissections. Non-dissection based alternatives will be available via lectures as well as virtual software (Complete Anatomy) to meet curriculum standards.

39. How will we do laundry in the ship?
There will be limited laundry facilities on the ship.

40. Is there an option to not have a roommate?
Due to space limitations on the cruise ship, the current plan is for all students to have at least one roommate.

41. Will there be WIFI on the ship?

Limited wireless WIFI will be available on board the ship and is restricted to education use only. Students are required to attend lectures and the plan is for MediaSite, to be used as a supplemental teaching tool.

42. Will we have a fridge and/or a microwave in our cabins?
No refrigerators or microwaves are permitted in the cabins.

61. Do we have to pay for food on the ship?
RUSM students receive three meals per day, including water, iced tea and coffee. Soda and snacks are available for purchase.

62. How will we be getting our prescription medication?
Students are encouraged to secure all medication in advance of your travel to St. Kitts.

63. Will we be able to use Ross Vet location as a study space?
Due to space limitations, RUSVM study spaces cannot accommodate to RUSM students. The current plan includes study space to accommodate all RUSM students residing on the cruise ship.

64. How much are we allowed to bring with us (study supplies, shampoo, soap, food, etc.)?
Due to limited cabin space, all students are advised to bring one piece of luggage and one carry-on.

^^^ Official FaceBook post with lots of comments too.

Nice to see that the Fyre Festival guys found a new gig.

Reactions: 17 users
It sucks, but your best option is to stay on the ship and finish your education at Ross. Jumping ship now will only further complicate the matter since nobody like a Caribean drop-out either.

Though considering everything else, if there was a time to drop out of a Carib school, this would be it.

Reactions: 1 users
Though considering everything else, if there was a time to drop out of a Carib school, this would be it.

If these changes don't take place, the whole exercise is a waste
CEO = Admiral
Professors = Captains
Classmates = Shipmates, or 'matey
Cafeteria = Galley
Student's who skip a semester = landlubber

I don't like what you said at all. It's not the student's fault if he or she has to be on a cruise ship to be on for classes. I think Ross has to take more ownership for the student learning. Let's say you were in this situation, would you be thrown on a cruise ship to learn? He or she has the right to apply, considering a proper applicant, to another spot without any shame at all.

Over twenty years ago, med school admissions were a lot easier than they are now. I couldn't get in a few years ago and now I am a fourth year at a DO school. I almost ended up there and let me tell you that some of the nicest/hardest working people I have met while on rotations were Caribbean students. Much better than some of the lazy American MD students who spent their time texting on rounds instead of trying to learn. Not to say that all American MD students are lazy but there are a good chunk who don't give a jack except to get a C and pass. If I was on an admissions committee, I would admire hard work and dedication over laziness.

I don't like what you said at all. It's not the student's fault if he or she has to be on a cruise ship to be on for classes. I think Ross has to take more ownership for the student learning. Let's say you were in this situation, would you be thrown on a cruise ship to learn? He or she has the right to apply, considering a proper applicant, to another spot without any shame at all.

Over twenty years ago, med school admissions were a lot easier than they are now. I couldn't get in a few years ago and now I am a fourth year at a DO school. I almost ended up there and let me tell you that some of the nicest/hardest working people I have met while on rotations were Caribbean students. Much better than some of the lazy American MD students who spent their time texting on rounds instead of trying to learn. Not to say that all American MD students are lazy but there are a good chunk who don't give a jack except to get a C and pass. If I was on an admissions committee, I would admire hard work and dedication over laziness.

Dang, I should've gotten bad college grades and MCAT scores so I could associate with hardworking Carribean students rather than these lazy American MD students.

Reactions: 20 users