General Admissions & OTCAS Help rounding out OT stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sygrun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm planning on applying to OT schools soon, but I'm concerned about my application. Here is what I have so far as far as stats;

B.A. in Psychology
GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 167 Verbal, 162 Quantitative, 4.5 Analytical
Observation Hours: 33 - 20 Pediatrics, 13 Adults with developmental disabilities

I'm four years out of school. I worked a year with adults with developmental disabilities, a year with kids as a Mental Health Paraprofessional, and two years at a library while I went back to school to get pre-requisites and decided on OT. I have a recommendation from one professor, my manager, and my library director. My first deadline for the programs I'm applying to isn't until Jan 15th.

I am also planning on observing at a nursing home. I'm a bit worried since many people on here seem to have hundreds of hours of observation. What do you think my chances are, and what can I do to make myself more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

I'm planning on applying to OT schools soon, but I'm concerned about my application. Here is what I have so far as far as stats;

B.A. in Psychology
GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 167 Verbal, 162 Quantitative, 4.5 Analytical
Observation Hours: 33 - 20 Pediatrics, 13 Adults with developmental disabilities

I'm four years out of school. I worked a year with adults with developmental disabilities, a year with kids as a Mental Health Paraprofessional, and two years at a library while I went back to school to get pre-requisites and decided on OT. I have a recommendation from one professor, my manager, and my library director. My first deadline for the programs I'm applying to isn't until Jan 15th.

I am also planning on observing at a nursing home. I'm a bit worried since many people on here seem to have hundreds of hours of observation. What do you think my chances are, and what can I do to make myself more competitive?

You're competitive. I wouldn't worry about it. Having hundreds of hours will not help you. Most schools just want you to meet the minimum hours for YOU. They just want you to know what you're getting into. A person with 2000 hours doesn't have an advantage on someone with 20 hours. When you meet your observation requirement, it's done. Many schools will tell you there's no bonus points for doing more. I only had 20 and got into all my programs I applied to.

Your LORs and personal statement are what matters at this point.

Side note: That's a freaking good GRE score lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just get in more hours! And since youre out of school for about 4 years, Im sure you have alot of insight to share about that in your personal statement. I think alot of applications require at least one OT writes your LOR, so maybe you can do that at the nursing home. In terms of hours, your experience counts overall in your admissions process, but some schools require a certain amount of hours. ( The minimum requirements are usually between 40-80....) SO with your competitive stats, and years of experience, you should be fine as long as you hit the minimum hours for the schools that you are applying to.

My OTCAS application was verified Jan. 8, 2018 and two of the three schools I applied to has sent emails stating they received my application. Still waiting for them to reach out if accepted for interview process.
My info is:
AAS degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Bachelor degeee in Psychology from University of Phoenix
Freshmean: 1.92
Sophomore: 3.12
Junior: 3.85
Senior: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.11
Pre-req GPA: 3.9 (repeated a few)
Hours: Been working as a COTA since June, 2012 and worked as a director of therapy for the past two years. Have thousands of hours in OT as I currently work full time. Work in a SNF and have observed in other areas (acute rehab, out patient, home health, hand therapy, mental rehab, etc.
GRE: Did not take the GRE
LOR: 2 OTs (each school I applied to this year only requires a minimal of two)

Applied to: Midwestern (Glendale), Belmont, and Gwynedd
Rejections:
Waitlist:
*Haven’t heard from any schools yet.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted? I have a total of 172.83 graded hours so it will be difficult to raise my GPA.
I have applied twice to Concordia and was denied and they said to not apply again. :/ in the years of 2015 and 2017. This year applied to three different schools making this the third time applying,but first time using OTCAS. Passed the fall semester with 12 credits and a 4.0. GPA. I re-took a few pre-reqs last fall and got GPA up to a 3.11