help!! Same MCAT Score after three practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorBelle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN friends -

So I'm a bit frustrated and would love some friendly advice. I cannot postpone my test and its in 27 days. Content review was complete (via Princeton Review course) before my first FL.

I have taken two PR FL's Core 1: 122/122/126/126
Core 2: 123/124/123/126

and 1 AAMC FL: AAMC FL 1: 122/125/126/123

Obviously, I've gotten a consistent 496 which is driving me insane (3 FL exams over 3 weeks). I can also say that the 123's each occurred when I felt like I had problems concentrating or understanding what the passages were telling me, for one reason or another; be it hunger, boredom, lack of interest, or distracting heart racing after to much 5 hour energy. But, considering the fluctuation I am seeing, I just feel like I am spinning my wheels here/something isn't working. The first time I was much more "in tune" with the test during B/B and P/S. On the second I had a huge issue staying focused after lunch (I ate pizza; it was a bad choice). In the AAMC FL, I felt the best about my C/P performance to date, but obviously this was misplaced confidence (fell from 123-122). During that same test, I really struggled during P/S, reading and re-reading things just to understand what was happening. I am only running out of time in the C/P section. For the others, I finish 10-20 minutes early.

Between full lengths I review what I did wrong and then spend a considerable amount of time on reviewing the topics that I missed or didn't know. That entails reading the books to refresh, making anki cards, or reviewing flashcards. I have not been doing tons of passages a day, but I have started the AAMC question banks and the PR topic banks, to try and improve the C/P score. I also try to do some CARS every day, because it was so low to start - at least there's been some consistent improvement in that.

Anyway, obviously I will do many more practice tests and review, but I am struggling with how to structure the remainder of my practice time. Target, like so many others, is 508. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a real reason you cannot postpone your exam? You are not ready. Most score +/-3 of their AAMC FLs, so you are not close to the 508 mark, unfortunately. You want your first attempt to be your best (and only attempt).

Best of luck making your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a real reason you cannot postpone your exam? You are not ready. Most score +/-3 of their AAMC FLs, so you are not close to the 508 mark, unfortunately. You want your first attempt to be your best (and only attempt).

Best of luck making your decision.

yes, there is a real reason - trust me, if I could postpone I would. I'm essentially studying every day until test day (with the exception of the day before) for 10-14 hours a day. No turning back now.

yes, there is a real reason - trust me, if I could postpone I would. I'm essentially studying every day until test day (with the exception of the day before) for 10-14 hours a day. No turning back now.
I’m with the person above. I don’t think you are ready. It sounds like you need to build some reading habits as well as strengthen content review and that’s a lot to do in 27 days. If you’re that determined I would just try to keep doing practice tests every 3-5 days and review each one carefully!!! But you have to get use to the question style and passage wording. If you can’t read the scientific dense passages filled with graphs then the mcat will be hard to hurdle. But it’ll come with practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN friends -

So I'm a bit frustrated and would love some friendly advice. I cannot postpone my test and its in 27 days. Content review was complete (via Princeton Review course) before my first FL.

I have taken two PR FL's Core 1: 122/122/126/126
Core 2: 123/124/123/126

and 1 AAMC FL: AAMC FL 1: 122/125/126/123

Obviously, I've gotten a consistent 496 which is driving me insane (3 FL exams over 3 weeks). I can also say that the 123's each occurred when I felt like I had problems concentrating or understanding what the passages were telling me, for one reason or another; be it hunger, boredom, lack of interest, or distracting heart racing after to much 5 hour energy. But, considering the fluctuation I am seeing, I just feel like I am spinning my wheels here/something isn't working. The first time I was much more "in tune" with the test during B/B and P/S. On the second I had a huge issue staying focused after lunch (I ate pizza; it was a bad choice). In the AAMC FL, I felt the best about my C/P performance to date, but obviously this was misplaced confidence (fell from 123-122). During that same test, I really struggled during P/S, reading and re-reading things just to understand what was happening. I am only running out of time in the C/P section. For the others, I finish 10-20 minutes early.

Between full lengths I review what I did wrong and then spend a considerable amount of time on reviewing the topics that I missed or didn't know. That entails reading the books to refresh, making anki cards, or reviewing flashcards. I have not been doing tons of passages a day, but I have started the AAMC question banks and the PR topic banks, to try and improve the C/P score. I also try to do some CARS every day, because it was so low to start - at least there's been some consistent improvement in that.

Anyway, obviously I will do many more practice tests and review, but I am struggling with how to structure the remainder of my practice time. Target, like so many others, is 508. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

You’re problem is not enough passage practice. Also scoring under a 500 means you need to improve content.

You’re problem is not enough passage practice. Also scoring under a 500 means you need to improve content.

Thank you! Definitely seeing that, trying not to give up before I've had more practice.

While searching through the forums today I've also gotten some good ideas about how to restructure my exam reviews. Do you know if I should focus on the AAMC question packs and section banks, or the Princeton full lengths and then switch over to AAMC when I run out? Saving the other two AAMC's for the week prior.

Has anyone even ever heard of a score improving by 12 points in 3-4 weeks?

Thank you! Definitely seeing that, trying not to give up before I've had more practice.

While searching through the forums today I've also gotten some good ideas about how to restructure my exam reviews. Do you know if I should focus on the AAMC question packs and section banks, or the Princeton full lengths and then switch over to AAMC when I run out? Saving the other two AAMC's for the week prior.

Has anyone even ever heard of a score improving by 12 points in 3-4 weeks?
No, but look at the Spinach Method. It was 10 points in 2 months though.

How I Raised My MCAT Score By 10 Points in 2 Months — The Spinach Method

Section banks and AAMC FLs and REVIEW THEM UNTIL YOUR EYES BLEED.

That is where I made the most improvement in my scores.

Reactions: 1 users