Help!!! SMP or Post-Bacc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livvvvvo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in my last semester of Law school in a canadian university and i have a 3.4 GPA (out of 4.3), but will most likely have a 3.5 by the end of this semester. Note: STRONG upward trend : 2.7 first year, but then between a 3.8 and 4.0 for the 2 last years.

I recently decided that would like to apply to med school - I already have my science prerequisites from a 2 year Health Science program that I completed prior to my Bachelors degree (Diploma of Collegial Studies), where I graduated with an overall average of 84% and an average of 84% for the science classes...I don't know what this translates to in terms of GPA. I have about 2 prerequisite classes with a 60% (organic chem) - do i need to redo those??

I haven't taken the MCATs yet so I'm planning on taking them in April. That means that I can't apply to med school yet since i have taken the MCAT. I was wondering if a SMP or Post-baccalaureate would be beneficial in my situation?

Also, if I do well on the MCAT, are my chances of getting into med school good? Would they consider the fact that I come from a Law background and therefore be more lenient with my average GPA?

I am sooo confused with the whole process of applying to american medical schools so any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to speak to a health professions advisor. All those Canadian qualifications make it difficult to figure out U.S. equivalence. Say those diploma grades, for instance. They might not count, or they might. If the grades were equivalent to U.S. grades, you had a B average, which would be problematic. I think some Canadian schools are more like England for grading, where 84% would often be a strong A. Don't waste your time looking for answers online. I'm sure there must be someone at your school or a neighboring school who advises students applying to med schools in the U.S.

In terms of law school, you're (sadly) part of a large group of people who do make the same switch as you plan to do. To me that means that you're going to have to work hard to distinguish yourself.

I got my university grades evaluated by a US educational credential service and it came out to a 3.4 GPA. Does that change anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wll-qualified Canadians face a tough time getting into US med schools in general because a large number do not accept non-US citizens or limit the number of available seats to 1 or 2.

That being said, a low GPA situation trying to get into the U.S. is going to be a very tough sell if you get any love at all.

You may get more "love" if you can attend a US SMP or post-bacc (I have no idea if your citizenship will block you from that or not, though). It sounds like since you already have science credentials, you would benefit more from an SMP rather than a post-bacc (which would take you through all the basic sciences again as well as some upper level courses).

You may get more "love" if you can attend a US SMP or post-bacc (I have no idea if your citizenship will block you from that or not, though
No, thats the point - US SMPs want to enhance their stats by taking candidates they can get into medical schools. A Canadian doesn't help that if most med schools don't accept internationals.
RFU has a pretty good international crowd I think, but beyond that - I don't know of any

So basically you are saying that because I'm canadian my chances of getting into an SMP and eventually into med school in the states are pretty much non existant ?? I know a couple of people who have been to american med schools (university of chicago, university of miami). I haven't heard before that being a canadian will hurt my chances THAT much seeing as there are less non-american applicants, so even if there are less spots, I would be competing against a smaller number...

I haven't heard before that being a canadian will hurt my chances THAT much seeing as there are less non-american applicants, so even if there are less spots, I would be competing against a smaller number...
Buy a copy of the MSAR - look at numbers for the international applicants and accepted; and then contact schools.

There are 0 non-US citizens in my class of 180 - some people are dual citizens but everyone is a U.S. citizen

After you get back your mcat score look into Irish and UK medical schools. You will have a much better chance there. There is a forum on here about international school discussions that has some good information. SMPs are not for you. Google the atlantic bridge program.

After you get back your mcat score look into Irish and UK medical schools. You will have a much better chance there. There is a forum on here about international school discussions that has some good information. SMPs are not for you. Google the atlantic bridge program.

awesome, thanks

awesome, thanks

Sure thing Irish and UK medical schools are of very high quality. Grads from those programs find residencies world wide including Canada and the US. However the US does not make it easy for IMGs to get in but those from Irish and UK schools often do better then other IMGs. Canada often has open arms for grads from those countries. But you don't have to take my world for it look for yourself.