HELP! Some questions regarding shadowing and recommendation letter!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapii alee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello yall, i just discover this website today and it have helped alot. However, I have some questions of my own that I would like to ask.

1) Shadowing!
I'm a junior right now and currently do not have any dental experience at all. When this spring semester start, I look up a list online of the dental place around where i'm going school, which is in San Francisco. I went around like 10 dental office and most of them were like a little office with just one dentist. I walk in and ask them if I could volunteer there to accustom to the environment but they all say they don't need any help. One of the larger office did say they give me a call, but when I called back, the receptionist say one of the dentists had a knee injury and the office is very busy. She won't be able to show me around and stuff and say she give me a call back when there opportunity. This is march and haven't heard from her yet.

Is it me or is it difficult to find a place to shadow? I don't have a regular dentist that I go to so no hope in that area. Should I do something different, like bring in a resume when I come and ask to shadow to show that I'm serious and really want the opportunity? Any suggesstion?

2) Recommendation Letter?
By reading the thread, I figure I need to apply with ADA first, and i'm wonder whether they need the recommendation letter to be sent to them? It's becauuse if I apply during the summer then I couldn't get recommendation from the professor until the Fall semester start. Is it alright to get things done like this? Any suggestion on how to get through the application process efficiently?

Sorri that my first post is so long!

Members don't see this ad.

I just asked if I could shadow when I talked to dentists about it. Shadowing doesn't imply that you'll be doing any work. When you are there, they might put you to work but that might keep them from saying "we don't need any help" like someone did when you asked to volunteer. I didn't ask my dentist because at the place that I go to my dentist had just left and I had only seen the new dentist for a few minutes at my last cleaning.

I actually ended up asking dentists of people that I know which worked out well for me.

You apply at https://aadsas.adea.org/ Most people suggest that you try and get your application and letters in by May and take the DAT around the same time. You can still get in if you apply in September but you will need to have excellent stats to do it.

so does that mean that i should have all my letter of recommendation mail to ADA? and then mail them again with my secondary application? So that mean i need to shadow immediately, like right now?! wow, i'm thinking i am way behinid =(

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Texas so we apply through a different site. I actually have my letters sent to the Health Profession Advising office at my school. Your school probably has one too if you are at a university. You should give them a call and see if they can help you out.

If you plan on applying this year you should be trying to find someone to shadow now.

hapii alee said:
so does that mean that i should have all my letter of recommendation mail to ADA? and then mail them again with my secondary application? So that mean i need to shadow immediately, like right now?! wow, i'm thinking i am way behinid =(

Hi,

Seems like you are fairly new at this. You apply through the ADEA, not the ADA (they are different organizations) ;) The ADA is where you sign up to take the DAT. I know, what a pain!

In any case, in order to apply to most dental schools, you would need to have at least 40-60 hours of shadowing. And since it appears that you will be applying for the 2007 cycle, you would have to get those shadowing hours in, ASAP. It is not too late but you would have to shadow a few times a week for the next 2 months. As for finding the right dentist that would allow you to tag along while they work, I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. There are some a$$hole dentists out there who would not give you the time of the day. I know it might slow down them down a little bit but come on; they were in our position not so long ago. But, HAPII LEE, you are better off finding someone with the time and patience to actually teach you some of the basic points about the profession. So, don't give up! Right now, your best resource could be the pre-dental club at your school; they generally have access to dentists in the community who would gladly help you out. Also, ask family and friends to see if they know of any friendly dentists.

As for the LOR's; I know A LOT of people from this forum have problems with AADSAS handling them but personally, I have never experienced any difficulty despite the fact that this is my second time applying. So, start asking for LOR's now so the professors can have them ready by the time you start applying. By the way, different schools have different requirements for LOR's so be sure to check to see what each school needs; you might end up asking for 5-6 letters, so be prepared.
To make sure things go smoothly, it is probably best to submit your application and have the LOR's be mailed at around the same time. So coordinate accordingly. Be sure to ask the professors to keep your LOR's for at least a year, in case you have to apply again (like me :oops: ) Finally, once AADSAS mailed your application to the schools, don't forget to call them up and ask if they have everything that they needed--and IGNORE any disclaimers some schools might give you about about not calling their admission office to ask about the status of your application...blahblahblah...like TUFTS :smuggrin:
Anyway, hope this helps and good luck applying :)

i think it's easiest to shadow a dentist that you already go to. you already have a relationship with them, so it's easy to ask them. just express your interest in dentistry and ask.

yes, it is hard to find a dentist to shadow. would you want a stranger standing behind your back staring at your every move?

Welcome to SDN!

First off, there is a difference between shadowing and volunteering: volunteering implies active participation, shadowing is very passive. While it's true that it is hard to volunteer at a private office (for many reasons, as you have found out) shadowing is very easy and most dentists are delighted to have you come in and observe them. When you shadow you are basically a fly on the wall - dress professionally, be silent when around patients, and see how things operate.

When you apply you do so through AADSAS - not the ADA (the DAT is administered by the ADA). When you create your account (aka application) on AADSAS they will have some instructions for you. For LOR's you print out a LOR matching form and give it to your recommendor. On the form is the address that you mail it to. If you want to apply this summer approach your professors now about writing you a LOR - give them time to work this into their hectic schedules. Let them know when you need it. I would also give them an unofficial copy of your transcripts as well as your personal statement: doing so will give them not only a better understanding of you academically but they will also be able to appreciate your background, desires for pursuing dentistry, etc. and thus be able to incorporate that into their LOR's. The best LOR's are ones that not only provide a professional evaluation of a candidate but give a glimpse into their personality and character: supplying the above items will help facilitate this.

Best of luck, and, once again, welcome!