help- Switch from PM&R to psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2psych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PMR intern about to start my intern year in internal medicine, however, I have always been interested in Psych even prior to medical school but somehow due to peer pressure I allowed myself to choose PMR.

I am seriously regretting the decision as I know I would not be happy practicing anything but psych. I would like advice on how I can switch to psych without offending my program director and how on the process of applying to psych programs. Should I finish my intern year in internal medicine before applying? How do I break the news to my PMR program director without burning bridges?

My stats are
Step 1 94
step 2 99
US Grad

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a PMR intern about to start my intern year in internal medicine, however, I have always been interested in Psych even prior to medical school but somehow due to peer pressure I allowed myself to choose PMR.

I am seriously regretting the decision as I know I would not be happy practicing anything but psych. I would like advice on how I can switch to psych without offending my program director and how on the process of applying to psych programs. Should I finish my intern year in internal medicine before applying? How do I break the news to my PMR program director without burning bridges?

My stats are
Step 1 94
step 2 99
US Grad

Thanks

Yes, certainly finish your PGY-1 year as it will alost certainly count for most of your psych PGY-1 requirements. Breaking the news to your PD will be tricky for sure, but honesty and forthrightness is the way to go - the earlier they know the earlier they can recruit a replacement for you. Would also make contact with your med school psychiatry dept chair and/or PD to see if they can help you with the process of finding an open PGY-2 slot for next year (there are usually quite a few available). Some programs even hold open a PGY-2 slot or two specifically to fill with a transfer resident. To my knowledge, UNLV is the last holdout in terms of having resident do PGY-1 elsewhere then start psychiatry as PGY-2s.

Finish PGY1 for sure.

You matched into your program right? This will make things rough. You are going to have to talk to the Dean of Graduate Medical education of your school for solid advice and connections.

Members don't see this ad :)
You haven't even started residency yet, right?

I would like advice on how I can switch to psych without offending my program director and how on the process of applying to psych programs. Should I finish my intern year in internal medicine before applying? How do I break the news to my PMR program director without burning bridges?

You should complete your intern year. Depending on the program you transfer into, some 6-12 months of your intern year will count towards your psych residency. For example, Columbia has pretty much a full year of medicine/neurology. UCSF and UW have 6 months.

You should let your program director know as soon as you know (with certainty) that you want to apply to transfer out.

From your perspective, there is also nothing to be gained by keeping it from your program director. You will have to let her know sooner or later. Most if not all of the programs where you will be applying for a PGY-II transfer slot will require you to provide a letter from your program director that is at least a letter of good standing ("Dr. So-and-So is a resident in our program and he hasn't been kicked out yet") or better yet is a letter of recommendation ("Dr. So-and-So is a resident in our program and I was sorry to hear that she wanted to transfer out, but I think she would be an asset to your program").

From your program director's perspective, losing a resident entails logistical difficulties, especially if the wards are resident-dependent; because then s/he will need to find a new resident to cover the quitting resident's duties. High-prestige residency programs generally don't have a problem finding new PGY-II's to transfer in, but lower-prestige programs generally do.

The logistical difficulties are unavoidable, but if you let your program director know as early as possible then she can start advertising for a replacement as soon as possible.

How psych programs deal with incoming transfers varies from program to program, but generally you will be applying by September-October. At some places you will be interviewed along with the other MSIV's (who are participating in the Match), whereas at other places you may be interviewing on a separate schedule.

-AT.

This would give you the opportunity to apply if you really don't like it. THe issue is that your PGY 1 year will probabaly be all or mostly int-med which may be totally different than PMR.