HELP! To buy or not to buy? (diagnostic set)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyedesire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We're in the process of purchasing a diagnostic set, and I have a bit of a dilemma: An optometrist I worked for generously donated his Keeler Vista diagnostic kit, will an o-scope, transilluminator, and retinoscope.

The only problem I see with the set I have is the weight, and that it uses a NiCad battery (we just started using the o-scope so I'm not sure of the ease of use compared to the new models).

My question is whether or not I should invest in a new diagnostic set or just buy a new set of batteries/charger.

Has the technology has changed that much in terms of improving the optics and lighting of the o-scope and retinoscope? (the zenon lighting and "new improved optics" as advertised)

Thanks for any input!! :)

(btw, Keeler Vista was the model before the Keeler Professional set)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

We're in the process of purchasing a diagnostic set, and I have a bit of a dilemma: An optometrist I worked for generously donated his Keeler Vista diagnostic kit, will an o-scope, transilluminator, and retinoscope.

The only problem I see with the set I have is the weight, and that it uses a NiCad battery (we just started using the o-scope so I'm not sure of the ease of use compared to the new models).

My question is whether or not I should invest in a new diagnostic set or just buy a new set of batteries/charger.

Has the technology has changed that much in terms of improving the optics and lighting of the o-scope and retinoscope? (the zenon lighting and "new improved optics" as advertised)

Thanks for any input!! :)

(btw, Keeler Vista was the model before the Keeler Professional set)

I don't think much has changed with technology. To me the most important tool is the retinoscope. It seems very few docs actually use an o-scope in practice. Compared to a 90D or BIO the things are junk IMHO.

eyedesire, the prices you get during school are unbeatable compared to when you get out, so buying the equipment new during school is pretty much a steal! So if I were you, get the new equipment. Also, well at least for SCCO, you get a steel-clad warranty while you're a student (including free replacements for any kind of damage to your equipment). Imagine if you're using old equipment that fails in the middle of a proficiency!

Members don't see this ad :)
eyedesire, the prices you get during school are unbeatable compared to when you get out, so buying the equipment new during school is pretty much a steal! So if I were you, get the new equipment. Also, well at least for SCCO, you get a steel-clad warranty while you're a student (including free replacements for any kind of damage to your equipment). Imagine if you're using old equipment that fails in the middle of a proficiency!

yeah, the warranty in school is great. We had a student put a diagnostic set on top of their car, forget about it and drive off. The resulting crash killed everything and Keeler replaced it no questions asked. (just a few jokes at the students expense at the next meeting)

The price savings is negligible in the whole scheme of things. If you have a diagnostic set that works, you do not need to buy another one. I still use the retinoscope I bought as a student in 1993 and the technology is just fine. My advice is to not spend the money on a new set unless the one you have is no longer working.

"... My question is whether or not I should invest in a new diagnostic set or just buy a new set of batteries/charger...

Buy the new one. It's a small price. I only use the retinoscope myself but occasionally, an ophthalmoscope and a 20D lens can act like a monocular indirect ophthalmoscope.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your replies! It really helped. I talked to a few professors and optometrist friends, and they say stick with my old kit for now. This is because I will be able to find out what I really like out of a diagnostic kit after using the one that I have and the ones in the lab.
But I will buy one before I graduate if I still feel that it is necessary (yay student discount!)

It better not fail on me during an exam :eek: