HELP – UCSF vs. UT San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dixie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to UCSF and University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. I am from texas, so going to SA would be much cheaper (like 70,000 vs 170,000 at UCSF). My friend told me that UCSF is (unofficially) in the top three and that the students make competent dentist and that you have a strong chance of specializing…he is involved with interviewing for endo and said that kids from UCSF are always popular with them (harvard). ... but I know SA got ranked as #1 back in the day…so it is good too. I want to eventually specialize in pedo, you think if I go to UCSF I will have a better chance??? Is it worth the $?? Also, UCSF is pass/fail…no grades…will this help or hurt? Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Both are excellent schools. You can get into pedo residency wherever you decide to go as long as you make good grades, good board scores, and have some research and other extracurriculars to support your application when the time comes. I don't know much about pass/fail systems, but at a school like San Antonio where it's your standard grading system, it can only help seeing actual number/letter grades on your transcript when applying for residency. In a pass/fail system it seems to me that more emphasis would be placed on board scores because you don't have any grades to compare applicants. More importantly, both schools will give you the clinical exposure you need to be a competent and confident dentist when you graduate.

GOOD LUCK making your decision! Hopefully we'll be classmates in July!

Pass/Fail will not hurt you. Harvard is pass/fail and I don't think it will hurt them get'n into specialty schools!

Specialization is: part I of your NBDE, letters of rec and how much time you spend in your chosen field.

I know nothing about UT: San Ant so I can't help you but I love UCSF. Not sure if I "$100,000" love it, but it's still rocks. The only bad thing about UCSF is they make you study and take tests all the time. It's really starting to get in the way of my Guitar Hero skills! Other than that, I say go to UCSF!!!!!!! (especially if you're gay) .....j/k

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Please decline SF so I can go. It's like the best school nationwide. This year they have the highest DAT average of all the schools.

Who cares about how hard it is to get in, go where you want. All dental schools have good things, so go wherever you feel comfortable and where you want to live. CA, SF is beautiful, but do you want to move away from your friends and family? Etc. SF is cold a lot, i lived there my whole life. Money is also a big issue for me. For me, CA is my residency so i have the opposite situation than you, but it is an issue no matter what people say. GL with your choice. Just go with your gut.

I would say definately San Antonio for three reasons:

3. Its 100K CHEAPER! It is considered one of the top schools to be going too, plus I'm assuming you are a Texas Resident which makes you closer to home.
2. I've heard nothing but great things about the San Antonio healthcare system. They have great hospitals and a very nice community. I would live there in a heart beat if I could have the chance.
1. And the number one reason I would go is because you have the best professional team playing there. SAN ANTONIO SPURS!!! .. oh yeah,, plus San Francisco is not all that safe and everything is expensive..

But down the road it all comes down too how you feel about the schools program and which will prepare you better for your speciality..

Keep in mind cost of living in SF will be much higher than San Antonio so the difference will be more than $100,000

Although I love my school very much, if I were you, I would stay in TX. UTSA is also an excellent school. Plus, you'll get a much less cost and be more profitable when you get out. The advantages that I think UCSF has over UTSA are the P/F system, the weather, the city life and the diversity which may be a disadvantage to some. Not sure if UTSA has summer, but UCSF D1 has a 3-month summer which is a big plus regardless how you use it. P/F system will definitely give you more time to prep for board if you take during school year. First year is hard, but second year is pretty relaxing especially if you take part I in the summer. You'll have much more time to explore whatever you're interested in. Good luck with the decision. PM me if you have any specific questions about UCSF.

Thanks sooooo much!!!! I need all the help I can get with deciding..this is hard..ehhh. Ya'll rock!

My "two cents":

I don't attend either school (yet) - but i live in SF and i've been to San Antonio/Texas on numerous occasions - and i can't think of two MORE different living situations.

Lemme ask you these questions -

Are you a Red State person? Would it bother you if you were surrounded by liberals (not necessarily your classmates, but the people you had to interact with outside of school)? How about gays/lesbians? Do you enjoy the amenities of a suburban (non-city) environment (lower cost of living, less traffic, affordable homes, lower crime rate, etc.)? Would you be uncomfortable living in a place where your summers are colder than (or as cold as) your winters? And finally, would it bother you to be around more nonwhite than white people (including folks that don't speak English as a first language)?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, you might want to think twice about attending UCSF.