Help understanding this thermodynamic problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 12.20.56 AM.jpg

Does the reversal cause the (1/2.0) and the reduction by half cause it to be ^(1/2)? Or vice versa?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reversal causes inversion of the numerator and denominator (our "products" are now our reactants, and vice versa). The reduction of the stoichiometric coefficients by half is why the power is halved.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 192378
Does the reversal cause the (1/2.0) and the reduction by half cause it to be ^(1/2)? Or vice versa?
Thanks

Since the reaction was reversed you take the reciprocal of the equilibrium constant.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Last edited:
When the reaction is reversed......yes......you square root it..... same as putting it to the 1/2 power.

Since the coefficients were also halved ...you divided by two.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
Wasn't it divided by 2 since we are doing it in reverse? So instead of K=2.0 you would do 1/2.0 because originally products/reactants = 2 and now the products (2) are the reactants so products/reactants became 1/2 instead? I thought halving the coefficient makes it to the power of 1/2 not the 1/2.0 part

Members don't see this ad :)
When the reaction is reversed......yes......you square root it..... same as putting it to the 1/2 power.

Since the coefficients were also halved ...you divided by two.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you meant when the reaction is halved you square root it.

Just remember: K(original) = [Product] / [Reactants]

Thus if the reaction is reversed then the original reactants become products and the original products become reactants: K(reverse) = [Reactants] / [Products]

Mathematically this these equations are the inverse of each other:

K(reverse) = 1/ K(original) ======> 1 / { [Product] / [Reactants] } ===> [Reactants] / [Products]

Say, [Product] = 5
[Reactant] = 1

Koriginal = 5/1 This equals 5...

Now for the reverse

K reverse = 1 /(5/1) ===> 1/5 The inverse of the original.

Use my values and double their concentrations and see whats happens...

Product = 5*2
Reactants = 1*2

K(double) = [10]^2 / [2]^2 == 100/4 == 25 Double the concentration equals K(original) squared! 5 squared is 25