Help! UNLV vs UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threemileisle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Original post deleted. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I overstating possible differences in education, clinical experience, and level of support offered by faculties/fellow students? I'm having a hard time grasping how every UNLV student, from D1 to D4, has been negative about UNLV. It seems to be pretty pervasive.

Where'd you get your numbers from? In the adea guide (2013) it states that UDM is $320k, unless I'm overlooking something.

u already got direct information from students who go to each school ... i don't see what other facts can be uncovered ... that being said u should pick the right fit and which ever school u feel will set u up to succeed most after those 4 years

Where'd you get your numbers from? In the adea guide (2013) it states that UDM is $320k, unless I'm overlooking something.

http://dental.udmercy.edu/admission/financial/. Tuition plus housing = 350k. Throw in other living expenses, which I matched to numbers given by UNLV and will be similar for me at either location, and it comes out to just under 420k. UNLV numbers I got straight from the interview packet, which aligns closely with what they have on their website. Regardless of what the final number is, prior to considering interest, the gap between the two will be roughly 50-60k.

Last edited:
u already got direct information from students who go to each school ... i don't see what other facts can be uncovered ... that being said u should pick the right fit and which ever school u feel will set u up to succeed most after those 4 years

Short of flooding FB group members with messages asking them about their experiences, what I've uncovered comes from a very small sample size. I also don't know how representative what I've heard is of all schools. Do all schools have students who are unhappy with their programs? Is it better hidden at some schools? Is the education one receives at UDM really superior? Does it really not matter in the grand scheme of things, when factoring in post-grad CE? If I had more info, allowing me to determine the best fit, then it'd be easy. I actually have very little info.

Short of flooding FB group members with messages asking them about their experiences, what I've uncovered comes from a very small sample size. I also don't know how representative what I've heard is of all schools. Do all schools have students who are unhappy with their programs? Is it better hidden at some schools? Is the education one receives at UDM really superior? Does it really not matter in the grand scheme of things, when factoring in post-grad CE? If I had more info, allowing me to determine the best fit, then it'd be easy. I actually have very little info.

i don't think many pre-dents would be qualified to answer these questions and you would be better off asking some dentists or residents... in my opinion though, i don't think differences would be big enough to make u a significantly weaker dentist... most dentists always say you learn more once you're practicing in the real world anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
http://dental.udmercy.edu/admission/financial/. Tuition plus housing = 350k. Throw in other living expenses, which I matched to numbers given by UNLV and will be similar for me at either location, and it comes out to just under 420k. UNLV numbers I got straight from the interview packet, which aligns closely with what they have on their website. Regardless of what the final number is, prior to considering interest, the gap between the two will be roughly 50-60k.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Wish I could be of more help but as WastedTime suggested, I think you would benefit more from posting in the Dental forum.

Reactions: 1 user
cheaper + family closer = def go to unlv

My student interviewer wasn't very positive about UNLV during my interview but I still probably would go with UNLV because its closer and cheaper. Im sure you will run into people who are really positive and people who are really negative about their dental school. Go with what you feel is best for you.

Best of luck