Help! Volunteer/clinical hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capenn16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone clarify how many hours are "enough" for shadowing/clinical volunteering? I can't quite find an answer, but feel like I'm short.

• 70 hours shadowing (pediatrics, ED, ICU)
  • 60 hours shadowing in anesthesiology, but this was senior year of high school (does this still count?)
  • 100 hours clinical volunteering and counting
I've read a broad range of numbers quoted as the "standard"/"minimum"... I just can't quite figure out what's right!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify how many hours are "enough" for shadowing/clinical volunteering? I can't quite find an answer, but feel like I'm short.

• 70 hours shadowing (pediatrics, ED, ICU)
  • 60 hours shadowing in anesthesiology, but this was senior year of high school (does this still count?)
  • 100 hours clinical volunteering and counting
I've read a broad range of numbers quoted as the "standard"/"minimum"... I just can't quite figure out what's right!
ADCOMS do like to see non-clinical volunteer work with with people less fortunate than yourself. You may want to look into volunteering at a food bank or shelter.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
ADCOMS do like to see non-clinical volunteer work with with people less fortunate than yourself. You may want to look into volunteering at a food bank or shelter.
Good luck!
I also have 300+ hours of one-to-one mentoring with an inner-city student from my four years in undergrad (probably one of my more meaningful experiences). That was my main non-clinical volunteer activity. I probably should have mentioned it earlier.