Help w/ scheduling semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pshere

Reaction score
I am in a dilemma with planning my courses and balancing out classes.I am majoring in psych but have been taking pre med classes as well. My advisor informed me that me taking my pre req classes is going to possibly delay my graduation because I have to also complete my core classes for my major. So me taking pre req during the academic year along with my classes for degree will affect me. She suggest me to take my pre req classes during winter/ summer sessions or even CC, but I am scared it will affect my admissions plus I get no financial aid for those summer/winter courses. Any advice for this situation. I am supposed to grad in '24 but I could be pushed to '25. I also intend on taking one gap year.

So far I have completed Bio 1&2 w lab and I am currently in Chem 1 w/ lab. Also completed my math req with Calc and Stats. I still have to take Chem 2, Organic 1&2 Physics 1/2.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able you take courses off-cycle at your school? For example, Organic 1 in the Spring.
The issue is that she suggest me not to take any non major courses , ( my pre reqs/) during fall and spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
To cram all of organic and physics over the next two summers seems like a tall order and not to mention stressful. Do you think you could take Organic 1 and 2 next year along with your major's courses and then physics 1 and 2 the following year?

Some ideas, not sure if they'll work depending on your individual school and situation:

• Take non-major, non-pre-req courses like English and Humanities during the summer and winter sessions at CC to give you more time to focus on major classes and science classes during the fall and spring semesters.
  • Take psych major requirements during the summer and winter sessions at your current school if they're offered.
  • I agree it's best to avoid taking medical pre-reqs such as chem and physics at community college. However depending on your goals, it may be acceptable. If you're aiming for a top medical school, take them at your current. If you are fine with any medical school, CC classes are increasingly being accepted.
  • Consider switching to a bio or biochem major with a psych minor. Honest question, what's the value of majoring in psych to you? Switching majors seems the path of least resistance from my perspective. I majored in biochem and was barely able to get all my pre-reqs "on time" even though half the major overlapped with them.

I am in a dilemma with planning my courses and balancing out classes.I am majoring in psych but have been taking pre med classes as well. My advisor informed me that me taking my pre req classes is going to possibly delay my graduation because I have to also complete my core classes for my major. So me taking pre req during the academic year along with my classes for degree will affect me. She suggest me to take my pre req classes during winter/ summer sessions or even CC, but I am scared it will affect my admissions plus I get no financial aid for those summer/winter courses. Any advice for this situation. I am supposed to grad in '24 but I could be pushed to '25. I also intend on taking one gap year.

So far I have completed Bio 1&2 w lab and I am currently in Chem 1 w/ lab. Also completed my math req with Calc and Stats. I still have to take Chem 2, Organic 1&2 Physics 1/2.
How many units have you accumulated so far? Is it too late to change your major to something like biology? If you still have two years left, that might be a good option depending on how good you are with science. If you are already intending on taking one gap year, I don't see what the harm in delaying graduation slightly would do.
Hope that helps and good luck.

To cram all of organic and physics over the next two summers seems like a tall order and not to mention stressful. Do you think you could take Organic 1 and 2 next year along with your major's courses and then physics 1 and 2 the following year?
So the issue is that, this would be possibly delaying my graduation because it takes away one class ( 3 CREDS ) that I can be using to complete my degree requirement.