Help, which is better or worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DillonW09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A fourth year at a CC (with likely transfer to UCD) or UC Merced? and why you think what you think?

Members don't see this ad.

A fourth year at a CC (with likely transfer to UCD) or UC Merced? and why you think what you think?
Too little information. Would you be moving from the CC to Merced then to UCD? If that is the case, stay at the CC until you are ready to transfer to UCD, or transfer to Merced and stay there to complete your degree. There is no reason to transfer around that much.

Why do you want to transfer instead of finishing the fourth year at the CC? If you are at the CC for money reasons, there is no need to waste money by transferring before you have to.

UC Merced is a brand new school just opened in 2009. It is very difficult to determine the quality of the school yet. However, I think you might have more opportunity to have one-on-one interactions with the professors at Merced than Davis, which could be helpful when you need them to write you LoRs.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Merced is a brand new school just opened in 2009. It is very difficult to determine the quality of the school yet. However, I think you might have more opportunity to have one-on-one interactions with the professors at Merced than Davis, which could be helpful when you need them to write you LoRs.

I attended a pretty much unknown (outside of FL) state school. I found it quite easy to get to know my profs there. I'm not very up-to-speed on either of these schools, though, but I'm sure you could get a feel for whether or not this may hold true for Merced vs. Davis by researching them further (by looking at faculty:student ratios, etc.).

So basically whats going on is that I have been wait listed at both UC Irvine and UC Davis, I was rejected from UC San Diego and accepted at UC Merced. I really really want to go to Davis and feel that I would get an acceptance next transfer cycle, however that would require another (4th) year at my CC. I also do not really want to go to Merced because I hate the location along with other things.

What should I do? How bad does 4 years at a cc look for med school?

It depends on how many credit hours you've been taking each semester at a community college. A friend of mine went to a CC for 6 years to get his associate degree, he was a full time student the whole time. He tried to transfer to a 4 yr university but got turned down twice.

Just out of curiosity why are you going to a CC for another year? If it's financial trouble, then that's understandable, but I don't think med schools will like this too much.

UCD has a max # of units that they will allow you to take, so you better be careful. Also, I don't think you will be able to transfer there very easily if you start going to UCM.

It depends on how many credit hours you've been taking each semester at a community college. A friend of mine went to a CC for 6 years to get his associate degree, he was a full time student the whole time. He tried to transfer to a 4 yr university but got turned down twice.

This is because, like I said above, many universities have unit-caps......OR, it could be that he has awful grades, etc.

I didn't ask him because I thought it would be rude to ask. He used to be one of my best friends until I gave up on him two years ago. I have no sympathy for lazy bums. :-D