Which diversity essay topic is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snaille

Reaction score
Hello SDN! Thanks in advance for your help. I'm debating between a few topics for my diversity essay. For context, I am a non-Hispanic white woman.

edit: removed identifying information, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My $.02. I would opt for Topic No. 1 (LGBTQIA Status) given that your PS already covers Topic No. 2 (Chronic Illness Status). I would not combine them as it may sound forced and would be an awful lot of ground to cover in a relatively short space.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello SDN! Thanks in advance for your help. I'm debating between a few topics for my diversity essay. For context, I am a non-Hispanic white woman.

1. LGBTQIA Status: I identify as gay, and spent most of my life in a female-dominated sport. I remained closeted for most of my teenage years, because although I grew up in a liberal area, I was terrified of being excluded from the female spaces that constituted the majority of my community. I never faced any discrimination because of this status, but I often felt different from my mostly-straight peers. Now, one of my most meaningful activities is volunteering with a crisis line designed for LGBT+ young people (mostly teenagers), and the experiences that made me feel so alone now allow me to empathize more effectively with the challenges experienced by our callers. I am passionate about LGBT+ healthcare and am interested in doing research to better understand the experiences of AFAB LGBT+ people in OB/GYN spaces (re: reciprocal egg exchange, sexual health, gender-affirming care).

I speak about my time volunteering with this organization in one of my MME essays, and disclose my identity there as well.

Pro: more straightforward diversity essay prompt answer, representative of my experience
Con: I don't feel that I experienced any true discimination, and fear that I don't have the hours to back up this claim (I have about 250 hours over a year and a half in this volunteer position)

2. Chronic Illness Status: During my teenage years, I was diagnosed with a common physical chronic illness (think PCOS, endometriosis, etc.) that resulted in significant pain and feelings of isolation from my peers (was in an environment where I largely had to conceal my illness as to not jeopardize my competitive spot). I was eventually diagnosed (have been mostly symptom-free for the last several years) and started a large research project in college studying the diagnostic experiences of people with the same illness as I have. When doing this research, I disclosed my personal illness status, which allowed me to be an insider in community spaces and in turn resulted in a research study more attuned to the needs of the community. My disclosure of my diagnosis also fostered trust/understanding between myself and my participants, with several people telling me that they participated in the study ONLY because I also had the disease. In this way my personal diagnosis allowed me to bridge patient and medical communities.

My PS is largely about this/ my research project (although I didn't specifically talk about how disclosure of my diagnosis fostered trust). It's also one of my MME.
Pro: Directly related to my experience with research participants, definitely have the hours (>1800) on the research project to back up the claim
Con: Already talked about this in my PS, don't want to seem too one note.

3. Somehow combine the two?
Pro: get it all in there
Con: feels a little bit like I'm forcing them together, having trouble finding a connection between the two beyond using aspects of my personal identity to foster trust/understanding.

Read

Suggest checking all secondaries. Otherwise:
Diversity for #1
Other Impactful Experience for #2