Help with choosing a school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devynmichelle

Reaction score
Good morning! I was hoping I could get some insight in helping decide on a school. Back in April, I accepted my seat at Michigan State in the class of 2025. Yesterday I got a call from Kansas state offering me a seat in the class. I applied and interviewed all online due to covid and have no idea what either school is actually like in person. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight into their experiences so I can make an informed decision. I am out of state for both schools. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan state is cheaper at this point (I believe ~$10k/year cheaper, perhaps a bit less) so I would recommend going with your least costly option. You'll get a good education at both.

I can't speak much for KSU. I interviewed there a couple years ago and the facilities were nice. At MSU, be prepared to teach yourself a lot the curriculum. We change classes every 2-3 (rarely, 4) weeks. So, for 2 weeks you will take a urinary system course. when that's over, you'll move on to a 3 week cardiology course (that's not the actual order. just an example). There are three semester-long 1-credit courses for which you'll have to attend a few classes and hand in some assignments throughout. but you will be focusing on one body system at a time. class time is generally reserved for discussion about what you learned from the assigned materials outside of class. some professors still give traditional lectures but there isn't a whole lot of that. I can't say much about clinics because I'm not there yet, but I do work in the clinic (plenty of opportunities for 1st and 2nd years to do that) and enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 user
Michigan state is cheaper at this point (I believe ~$10k/year cheaper, perhaps a bit less) so I would recommend going with your least costly option. You'll get a good education at both.

I can't speak much for KSU. I interviewed there a couple years ago and the facilities were nice. At MSU, be prepared to teach yourself a lot the curriculum. We change classes every 2-3 (rarely, 4) weeks. So, for 2 weeks you will take a urinary system course. when that's over, you'll move on to a 3 week cardiology course (that's not the actual order. just an example). There are three semester-long 1-credit courses for which you'll have to attend a few classes and hand in some assignments throughout. but you will be focusing on one body system at a time. class time is generally reserved for discussion about what you learned from the assigned materials outside of class. some professors still give traditional lectures but there isn't a whole lot of that. I can't say much about clinics because I'm not there yet, but I do work in the clinic (plenty of opportunities for 1st and 2nd years to do that) and enjoy it.
Thank you. I didn’t know it was mostly teach yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I didn’t know it was mostly teach yourself.

Don't get me wrong - the majority of what you see on exams will have been covered in class. however, what we learn in class is not an exhaustive list of all the things we need to know as vets or what we will see on the NAVLE (obviously you can't learn every single thing anywhere). there is just a large aspect of needing to be self-motivated and disciplined, as there is for any advanced education.

Reactions: 1 user
For K State I have really enjoyed it. What I have liked best during my first year:
1) The professors have gone out of their way to make sure we had opportunities to learn during COVID. The anatomy prof would stay up til 11 at night to make sure all the students had time to go in person and see what they needed to. Most seemed very vested in student's success.
2) Access to professors and their willingness to help guide you on a path you are interested in. I had some great meetings to help me plan out some steps and have found a great mentor.
3) Most people here are just nice people and finding, friends, study groups, help, etc has been nice.
4) Part time jobs, shadowing, leadership positions are easy to come by. You just have to ask.
5) Classes were hard but not as crazy as I had anticipated. I learned a lot and the electives I took were good. I do hear second year will be a killer.
I am OOS from a big city and have enjoyed my time here. During the school year you don't have time for a lot but since everything is close it works.
Factor in cost of living. It can be really cheap to live here!

Reactions: 1 users