Tennessee vs Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EquusObsessed

C/O 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I have (somehow) been accepted to two veterinary schools. I really liked both, I’m OOS at both, tuition is pretty comparable... I’m stuck. I liked the campus and atmosphere of Kansas better, plus as a lifelong east-coast girl I’d love to spend 4 years in a different part of the country. However, I want to go into equine sports medicine and UTenn was my original first choice school due to their rehab program and equine sports medicine opportunities. So to anyone who goes to either school:

1. What would you say your equine case load is like? Do you get a lot of horses in, and if you do are they largely surgical/colic/repro or are some of them sports medicine based? (For Tennessee- how much do you actually get to do rehab work or take classes in the rehab clinic? That’s one of my main interests and draws to the school so being able to be involved in that is super important to me!)

2. Do you feel like you have good access to opportunities to observe or get involved early on in your veterinary years? I know KSU seemed to have a lot of opportunities to observe in and around the clinic as a first year

3. What is your favorite thing about the school?

4. Least favorite?

5. Are there any things you wish you had known or that would have made you change your mind before going there?

6. If any of you have horses, do you board near the school and/or do you know of anyone who does? I’m trying to decide if I want to bring my horse or not, with all the financial strain and stress that incurs.

7. Are there any “hidden fees” or financial surprises you wish you had known about?

8. What’s the weather like?

9. Anything else to help me decide?

Thank you all and I hope to see some of you next fall!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I just now saw this! I'm a third year at K-State.

1. What would you say your equine case load is like? Do you get a lot of horses in, and if you do are they largely surgical/colic/repro or are some of them sports medicine based? (For Tennessee- how much do you actually get to do rehab work or take classes in the rehab clinic? That’s one of my main interests and draws to the school so being able to be involved in that is super important to me!)
I'm not an equine person, so unfortunately I don't know too much on this one! I know we don't see very many racehorses here, but it seems like we have a good equine caseload.

2. Do you feel like you have good access to opportunities to observe or get involved early on in your veterinary years? I know KSU seemed to have a lot of opportunities to observe in and around the clinic as a first year
I would say so! It's not something I really took advantage of since I prefer to just relax whenever I'm not studying, but they are very welcoming as far as students shadowing in the hospital, and there are various job opportunities for students in the hospital as well. As far as hands-on there is clinical skills in first and second year now, and there are various club wet labs throughout the year.

Most of the professors are really helpful and genuinely want to help us learn and succeed, and I like my class for the most part, I wouldn't say we're competitive at all.

4. Least favorite?
The OOS tuition cost! However it looks like we are somewhat cheaper than Tennessee, so there's that.

5. Are there any things you wish you had known or that would have made you change your mind before going there?
Not that I can think of. K-State was my only acceptance on my third time applying, so it would have taken something major to make me turn it down! There have been some frustrations with administration (more so with my friends/classmates than me directly, I don't want to get too specific on here), but it sounds like that's not unique to K-State.

6. If any of you have horses, do you board near the school and/or do you know of anyone who does? I’m trying to decide if I want to bring my horse or not, with all the financial strain and stress that incurs.
I don't, but I know there are students who have their horses here, I'm not sure of the costs but I'm guessing it would be relatively reasonable since this is a pretty cheap COL area.

7. Are there any “hidden fees” or financial surprises you wish you had known about?
Not that I can think of, there's a $450 technology fee each semester to cover our laptops and the IT services that we have available, but I knew that going in. The cost of rabies vaccines is something to plan for if your insurance won't cover it, but that's something to keep in mind no matter where you go. We have very few required textbooks, so that's nice. Our dean has kept tuition the same since I've been here, but that might be changing in the next few years.

Unpredictable! It's starting to warm up now (in the mid-70s and windy today), but just a couple weeks ago it was still in the 30s and snowy, and I think it's supposed to be cold again this weekend. This winter was harsher than the last couple, but I don't think we ever got more than 6 inches of snow at a time, it was just a LOT of little bouts of snow/ice (we only got one half-day off school when there was a blizzard right at the end of Thanksgiving break and people were having trouble getting back in town). We had some days in the single digits or below, but mainly in the 20s/30s. In the summer it's generally in the 80s/90s with some days over 100 degrees. Tornadoes are a concern mainly in spring/summer, but nothing to panic about, I've lived in the Midwest my whole life and have never experienced a tornado. Just keep an eye on things if there's a watch/warning and know where to go if one is spotted in the area.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Missed the tag, sorry

Our total equine caseload is variable, my impression in the main hospital is the usual split between colic and lameness.
However there are cases in our Equine Performance & Rehab Center every day. Usually there are between 2 and 5 horses in there at all times for rehabilitation or conditioning or what have you. The main curriculum doesn't cover that much, it's a pretty niche thing, but there are electives both preclinical and clinical. We have two faculty members and a resident so definitely people you can look into working with.

Yup. Most areas of the hospital are open for us to observe/shadow/etc. There are some paid jobs too (I talked about some of those in the UTK thread for this year). If you're interested in a particular area, talk to those clinicians, they'll help you get exposure.

The people for sure. We're a big family - which means we have our disagreements and such but at the end of the day we're there for each other, and that goes for students, staff, faculty, and admin. It's a very supportive atmosphere.

4. Least favorite?
The tuition lol

Edit: My friends weighed in that parking can also be a headache, which is true, especially on football game days.

It's the only place I got in, so probably not. Even if I imagine a world where I had gotten in elsewhere, I can't think of anything that would have turned me away except the price tag.

Multiple friends of mine who got in to more than one school say they certainly have no regrets in coming here!

I don't have horses but I think a few of my classmates board nearby. I can ask around if you like.

Edit: Confirmed, there is boarding nearby! Not sure on price

none that I can think of

It'll get hot and humid in the summer, though I'm from Florida so it's like nothing to me. Fall is lovely. Winter is mild usually, gets cold but not often below freezing and snows maybe a couple days. Sometimes can be icy. Late winter tends to be pretty rainy/dreary. Spring is lovely. Currently it's been sunny and temp has been a bit variable from the 50s up to the 70s.

Depends on what you like. I was a fan of the small class size. I think the new curriculum here is pretty cool, more time in the clinic, which is pretty great if you know you want to go into a specialty where it will be useful to have some extra externship or elective time. I like the mountains being nearby. I like that I can be outside most of the year.

Biggest factor should always be cost of attendance though. Especially if you're looking to do a residency later.

Let me know if you have any more questions, in the meantime I'll tag @SnuggleBubbles for a first year perspective

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Missed the tag, sorry

Our total equine caseload is variable, my impression in the main hospital is the usual split between colic and lameness.
However there are cases in our Equine Performance & Rehab Center every day. Usually there are between 2 and 5 horses in there at all times for rehabilitation or conditioning or what have you. The main curriculum doesn't cover that much, it's a pretty niche thing, but there are electives both preclinical and clinical. We have two faculty members and a resident so definitely people you can look into working with.

Yup. Most areas of the hospital are open for us to observe/shadow/etc. There are some paid jobs too (I talked about some of those in the UTK thread for this year). If you're interested in a particular area, talk to those clinicians, they'll help you get exposure.

The people for sure. We're a big family - which means we have our disagreements and such but at the end of the day we're there for each other, and that goes for students, staff, faculty, and admin. It's a very supportive atmosphere.

The tuition lol

Edit: My friends weighed in that parking can also be a headache, which is true, especially on football game days.

It's the only place I got in, so probably not. Even if I imagine a world where I had gotten in elsewhere, I can't think of anything that would have turned me away except the price tag.

Multiple friends of mine who got in to more than one school say they certainly have no regrets in coming here!

I don't have horses but I think a few of my classmates board nearby. I can ask around if you like.

none that I can think of

It'll get hot and humid in the summer, though I'm from Florida so it's like nothing to me. Fall is lovely. Winter is mild usually, gets cold but not often below freezing and snows maybe a couple days. Sometimes can be icy. Late winter tends to be pretty rainy/dreary. Spring is lovely. Currently it's been sunny and temp has been a bit variable from the 50s up to the 70s.

Depends on what you like. I was a fan of the small class size. I think the new curriculum here is pretty cool, more time in the clinic, which is pretty great if you know you want to go into a specialty where it will be useful to have some extra externship or elective time. I like the mountains being nearby. I like that I can be outside most of the year.

Biggest factor should always be cost of attendance though. Especially if you're looking to do a residency later.

Let me know if you have any more questions, in the meantime I'll tag @SnuggleBubbles for a first year perspective
Doesn't UTK allow you to get in state tuition if you are married to a Tennessee resident?

Missed the tag, sorry

The tuition lol

none that I can think of

Thank you, this is super helpful! I did actually decide to go to UTK, so if you’re around next year maybe you’ll see me there

Thank you, this is super helpful! I did actually decide to go to UTK, so if you’re around next year maybe you’ll see me there
I'll be in clinics, so maybe on occasion! Congrats on making your decision!

Reactions: 1 user