Help with Fall class schedule please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssandedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know a month or so ago I posted on this but I just wanted opinions on this.

For Fall 05 I'm taking:
Organic Chem I w/ lab
Human Anatomy w/ lab
History since 1945
US Presidents

The Organic I is a repeat. I took it at CC this past fall and made a B that was almost a C. Judy Leverine from examkrackersforum.com recommended retaking at the 4 year univ. But is this a waste? At this univ I wouldn't be able to take Org II until Spring 06 b/c the school is so small however, I could take it this Fall at another univ.

Should I take human anatomy? I think apart of me wants to but apart of me wonders if I can handle with the course load plus all my EC and part time job.

Any insight would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel you aren't prepared to take it together then don't. GPA is the most important factor right now and if you have the take them separately to get that high GPA then do so.

ssandedoc said:
Okay, I know a month or so ago I posted on this but I just wanted opinions on this.

For Fall 05 I'm taking:
Organic Chem I w/ lab
Human Anatomy w/ lab
History since 1945
US Presidents

The Organic I is a repeat. I took it at CC this past fall and made a B that was almost a C. Judy Leverine from examkrackersforum.com recommended retaking at the 4 year univ. But is this a waste? At this univ I wouldn't be able to take Org II until Spring 06 b/c the school is so small however, I could take it this Fall at another univ.

Should I take human anatomy? I think apart of me wants to but apart of me wonders if I can handle with the course load plus all my EC and part time job.

Any insight would be helpful.

OneLove said:
If you feel you aren't prepared to take it together then don't. GPA is the most important factor right now and if you have the take them separately to get that high GPA then do so.

I tend to agree....Take Organic at a 4 year university - with your previous knowledge you shouldn't have a problem nailing a solid A. And I don't think that A&P is a required pre-req at very many schools....if any at all (correct me if I'm wrong). You would be better to not overload yourself and get solid As than to take a relatively difficult class that isn't even required and hurt your grades overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skip Human Anatomy (It will be a waste of time). You will need the brain space to remember that history junk. Take something that is easier on the time management.

A few tips for you:

Don't retake organic I. A 'B' may not be the best grade, but it is respectable, and you should focus your energy elsewhere instead of taking the class again. Do well in organic II and you won't have a problem. I believe we've already had this discussion once before (you had a similar post a while back).

Also, I haven't taken human anatomy, but I suspect it would be very time-consuming. You probably won't remember much of it by the time you hit med school anyway. If you feel that you won't be able to give it your full attention (esp. considering you have a part-time job), then don't take it. You could take another science class in lieu of anatomy - having 2 science and 2 non-science classes seems fairly balanced.

BrettBatchelor said:
Skip Human Anatomy (It will be a waste of time). You will need the brain space to remember that history junk. Take something that is easier on the time management.

Agreed. You cannot adequately prepare for Medical School Gross Anatomy.

LVDoc said:
A few tips for you:

Don't retake organic I. A 'B' may not be the best grade, but it is respectable, and you should focus your energy elsewhere instead of taking the class again. Do well in organic II and you won't have a problem. I believe we've already had this discussion once before (you had a similar post a while back).

Also, I haven't taken human anatomy, but I suspect it would be very time-consuming. You probably won't remember much of it by the time you hit med school anyway. If you feel that you won't be able to give it your full attention (esp. considering you have a part-time job), then don't take it. You could take another science class in lieu of anatomy - having 2 science and 2 non-science classes seems fairly balanced.

Okay here's my next question. If I don't retake Organic I then should I try to take Organic II at OU in the Fall and all my other classes at USAO. Or should I wait to take Organic II at USAO (this is where I'm receiving my degree from) take it in the Spring. This is because the school is so small Organic II is only offered in the spring. Then that would be like a year after taking Organic I from a community college.

Thoughts anyone?

Normally I would either tell you to take it from your degree-granting institution or at a school where it may not be as difficult, but in this case, it makes sense to take it ASAP so you don't forget everything.

Not a lot of organic I overlaps with II, but it is helpful to still be familiar with general concepts and lab-related things like infrared spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance.

On the other hand, if you plan to take all your classes at one institution and commute to OU just for organic II in the fall, that might be a hassle - and you will have weigh the pro's and con's of whether or not you can keep up with alternating schools for one term.

LVDoc said:
Normally I would either tell you to take it from your degree-granting institution or at a school where it may not be as difficult, but in this case, it makes some sense to take it ASAP so you don't forget everything.

Not a lot of organic I overlaps with II, but it is helpful to still be familiar with general concepts and lab-related things like infrared spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance.

On the other hand, if you plan to take all your classes at one institution and commute to OU just for organic II in the fall, that might be a hassle - and you will have weigh the pro's and con's of whether or not you can keep up with alternating schools for one term.

Okay new problems, lol. :laugh:

To take Organic II in the fall at OU means schedule conflict with my 2 history courses that are badly needed for my degree.

To take Organic II at OKC Community College is bad because I need upper division credits for my degree, and a CC can't count an upper division class like organic as 3000 or 4000 so it gets a 2000 level. Plus I can't transfer this class to my school because I've maxed my hours of transferable CC work.

Soooo. I guess this means either taking Organic I and II at USAO or skipping org I and doing II, but I don't know if I like that.

And I could take it at UCO but I know people who say the teachers aren't the greatest.

lol. Either you stick with your original plan and retake organic I (I personally think this is a waste), or it seems to me that you will be taking organic II at USAO in Spring. Problem solved :)

If you're worried about the time gap between organic I and II, over your winter break, you could look over some of the organic II material you will be studying to get a feel for it again. I don't think the time span will hurt you as much as you think. As I said, the overlap is almost non-existent, but it is useful to be familiar with basic things like electron-pushing, etc.

Getting the classes required for your degree should be your first priority.

LVDoc said:
lol. Either you stick with your original plan and retake organic I (I personally think this is a waste), or it seems to me that you will be taking organic II at USAO in Spring. Problem solved :)

If you're worried about the time gap between organic I and II, over your winter break, you could look over some of the organic II material you will be studying to get a feel for it again. I don't think the time span will hurt you as much as you think. As I said, the overlap is almost non-existent, but it is useful to be familiar with basic things like electron-pushing, etc.

Getting the classes required for your degree should be your first priority.

Hey thanks for all the help LV. :thumbup: Umm now what to do with Human Anatomy :D I'll figure this one out.

No problem.

Good Luck :luck: