Help With GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fathobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope your applications are going well.

I plan to retake the GRE in a few days and had a question in regards to my old scores. I chose not to send those scores to any schools and thus have them as a part of my academic history. Since I did not report these scores initially, how do I report them right now, as I know all schools want your GRE scores, as well as PTCAS?

Or, do I not need to report them to all the schools, as I will be placing the scores in the "taken" category of the test section through PTCAS, thus showing schools I have taken the exam.

Thanks for the help. Good luck to all of you

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly PTCAS is self reported. For schools you can go to the GRE website and have scores sent to schools at 25$ per school. (On second thought you still might be able to send your initial scores to 4 schools for free.)

If you wait until you retake the GRE you will have the option to either send all scores or the most current scores to 4 schools of your choosing for free plus additional schools at 25$ per school. Unless a school specifically requires it, I do not believe you have to report all scores. However, unlike the MCAT, I don't believe schools will hold previous scores against you, and in my opinion, unless you absolutely bombed your initial test, showing an improvement in scores actually shows you put in an effort and are dedicated to improving your application.

Some adcoms probably won't even notice you took it twice. Thoughts on GRE effectiveness in determining successful PT students vary. I think that while having a good GRE score can have a large effect on making cutoffs or formulas used to evaluate students most adcoms won't really care. YMMV

Just make sure that whatever you report to PTCAS coincides with scores you report to schools.

Last edited:
I do have to report any GRE tests I have taken though right? I was thinking since I did not submit my initial scores, I would submit the second ones if they were better.

I have heard however, if you submit your scores through ETS and it is more than 1 school, it sends all the previous tests you have taken within that 5 year period, so I would be forced to report it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, thank you for reminding me that when I report my scores it is via PTCAS GRE scores. The poor PTCAS agent was confused as to what I was asking, when I stated do I send my GRE scores to the schools.

Off topic, assuming you are applying or have applied, in terms of submitting your application, did you submit it when you were all good to go? Or did you add designations after finishing school specific essays as some schools have them?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it has been over a year, but I don't believe you are required to submit all scores unless a school specifically requires it. I took the GRE twice (317 3.5Aw followed by a 320 4.0). I retook it solely for the purpose of raising my AW, and I specifically remember being asked the second time if I wanted to send out all scores or just the most recent. I sent out all scores because 1. I had already sent out my previous scores, and 2. my number 1 school of choice used a superscore for formulation purposes raising my GRE to 322 4.0Aw.

Off topic, assuming you are applying or have applied, in terms of submitting your application, did you submit it when you were all good to go? Or did you add designations after finishing school specific essays as some schools have them?

I sent out my scores when I took the GRE long before I even started apps. The schools will keep these on record. If you are not sure where you are going to apply at the time you take the test I think you have the option of not sending any score reports, and then going back and sending your allotted 4 free score reports (plus additional reports at 25$) to your desired schools.