Help with interpretation of 2007 match data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docglobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am a FMG graduated exactly 10years ago. But I have completed surgical postagraduate training in home country and UK since.No gaps in carrer.scores 248-stepII,230-step-I,CS-passed & 209-step III. I am applying for surgical programmes for 2008. Although I will be happy to get into a categorical spot,realistically I may end up in a prelim position. I want to apply to good prelim programmes where there are good chances to move on to categorical position. What are the factors I should be looking at in deciding?

I also wondered how to interpret the surgery prelim match data from 2007. Some good programmes(eg:Boston university med centre,
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA) haven`t matched fully for prelim spots. does this mean they are vacant or filled out of match?

Or I will be greatful if the previous residents/faculty have any recommendations for good prelim positions.

Thanks.​

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

I am a FMG graduated exactly 10years ago. But I have completed surgical postagraduate training in home country and UK since.No gaps in carrer.scores 248-stepII,230-step-I,CS-passed & 209-step III. I am applying for surgical programmes for 2008. Although I will be happy to get into a categorical spot,realistically I may end up in a prelim position. I want to apply to good prelim programmes where there are good chances to move on to categorical position. What are the factors I should be looking at in deciding?

I also wondered how to interpret the surgery prelim match data from 2007. Some good programmes(eg:Boston university med centre,
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA) haven`t matched fully for prelim spots. does this mean they are vacant or filled out of match?

Or I will be greatful if the previous residents/faculty have any recommendations for good prelim positions.

Thanks.​

it means they are vacant. probably for good reason.

in searching for a prelim spot, look for middle of the programs with large large class sizes. it's more likely then that someone is going to drop out, change fields, and *poof* there you are to take over their spot.

emtji,

thanks for that.