help with interpreting step 2 score and residency chances

Started by deleted1086162
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1086162

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I'm a US-IMG going for internal med residencies and hoping for an academic program with good fellowship chances, which I know will be hard from my medical school. I honored all my shelves, have a couple pubs in progress, and some leadership. I got a 261 on Step 2, had a rough testing day and was lower than my practices, but I was wondering how to interpret that given how the percentiles have changed and I'm most likely around an 80th percentile. Is that a great or good or average score for these programs since Step 1 went P/F? Was really hoping for a "wow" type of step 2 score, and know my chances at matching these programs will always be low anyways.
 
Per your prior posts, you're likely at UQ-Oschner. It's a fine school, and you'll get US clinical experience because of their connection. A 261 is a fine score, it's going to be well above any minimum cutoff that most programs will have. I think your chances of getting a good academic program are pretty good. Chances of matching at something like MGH or BWH is very slim without some other wow factor, but you'll likely get interviews from other good univ programs that match to fellowships. See where other grads have gone, use your signals wisely.