Help with letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member25800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i basically have most of my LORs lined up however I just found out from my biochem professor that he would most likely send me a more generic letter. I heard that these can really hurt you. but my research professor (who doesnt count as a science professor sadly) i know will write me a really strong one. so im wondering will one weaker one be made up for by a really strong one?

thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any other professors that you can ask that you know can write you a strong, non-generic letter?

1. Find another professor
2. Write an outline and tell him to make it not generic. You can include 5 things you want him to hit on in the letter - it's super easy that way.
Every time I student asks me to write a letter and I don't even remember them - it's helpful if they include 5 things about themselves, 5 things that they want me to mention in the letter (ofc I still have the right to include them or not). This makes letter writing so much faster - otherwise I send pretty generic ones too unless they really stood out.