Help with letters of recommendation.

Started by kznova225
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kznova225

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on my OAT scores, college GPA, & shadowing/hands on experience, I believe I'm a competitive candidate. The only problem is with my letters of recommendation. I already have one from the optometrist that I have been working with for the last couple of months (I shadowed her a couple of times before then). My issue is with a letter from a former professor. I just never made any connection with a professor of mine. I went to a large university and most of the close experience I had was with TAs and I was never someone who went to office hours (now I wish I had). Any suggestions who be much appreciated. FYI, I graduated from college in the spring of 2018 & I'm somewhat of an older applicant (I'm 26).
 
Based on my OAT scores, college GPA, & shadowing/hands on experience, I believe I'm a competitive candidate. The only problem is with my letters of recommendation. I already have one from the optometrist that I have been working with for the last couple of months (I shadowed her a couple of times before then). My issue is with a letter from a former professor. I just never made any connection with a professor of mine. I went to a large university and most of the close experience I had was with TAs and I was never someone who went to office hours (now I wish I had). Any suggestions who be much appreciated. FYI, I graduated from college in the spring of 2018 & I'm somewhat of an older applicant (I'm 26).

Why don't you email your TAs and ask? Most schools just require a co-sign from a professor from what I know
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I similarly went to a big university with science classes usually being lecture halls with like 300 people and I did not go to office hours. What I did was find a class I did well in and email the professor to get his or her current office hours. Then I would go and ask them in person and mention that I did well and I understand they might not know me individually but that the letter doesn’t have to be extremely personal. I got my good personal letters from my optometrist and my lab supervisor - I just needed the science letter to satisfy the requirement.
 
Do you think it matters that the pre-health advisor I had is no longer a pre-health advisor at the school? She still works at the university though.
Hmm i don't think it will matter. First step is to reach out to her and ask. I asked the pre-health advisor at my school for a letter and she simply said "we don't do that there, we can give you a letter stating we can't write a recommendation letter" lol
 
Look into that and also look into a Committee letter from your pre-health advisors. I made a video about how I went about getting letters from professors and the committee letter process. Even though I'm pre-dental the processes are the same so if you want to check it out I'll put in the link. LOR video