Help with LOR's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwerfy

Reaction score
Hello there! Just looking for some input regarding my dental school LORs...

So far I have 3 confirmed LORs. Two from science professors, whom I have worked for/known for years. And one from a general dentist whom I have shadowed/assisted/volunteered for around 100 hours.

My question to you is: should I request another LOR from a science professor? I checked the LOR requirements of the schools I wish to apply to and they are all set with 2 letters from a science professor and 1 from a dental professional. However, I know AADSAS allows more letters.

Would a 4th LOR from another science professor make my application significantly more competitive? I preformed very well in the class and got along well with the professor but it was only for one semester. Or is it better to just have 3 good LOR's from people I have known for years?

Quick overview of my stats, just in case it is helpful:
DAT: 23 AA/ 23 TS
cGPA: 3.81
sGPA: 3.71

Your advice is greatly appreciated- thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

No, a fourth letter from a professor you only had one class with and did well on (as you did on the majority of your classes based on a 3.81 GPA) would not make your application significantly more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think a 4th letter from a science professor is necessary. If you really want to have a 4th letter maybe make it more community based. Like a letter from a volunteer supervisor, or someone who can speak on your community involvement.