Help with MCAT Study Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently wrapping up semester 1 of my senior year and I would like to study for the MCAT over the winter in time to test sometime in March if possible. I have the following resources at my disposal:
* Kaplan MCAT Book Set 2019-2020
* AAMC MCAT Official Online Bundle

Would it be feasible to do CR and study for the test in about 2 or 3 months? What sort of study schedule should I stick with? I'm sorry if this is a really general question. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am currently wrapping up semester 1 of my senior year and I would like to study for the MCAT over the winter in time to test sometime in March if possible. I have the following resources at my disposal:
* Kaplan MCAT Book Set 2019-2020
* AAMC MCAT Official Online Bundle

Would it be feasible to do CR and study for the test in about 2 or 3 months? What sort of study schedule should I stick with? I'm sorry if this is a really general question. Thank you so much for any help you can provide.
General is a good place to start. What is your background? What is your major? Where do you want to go to med school? What does CR mean in this context?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
General is a good place to start. What is your background? What is your major? Where do you want to go to med school? What does CR mean in this context?

Med School Tutors
Thank you for your response Doctor, I appreciate your help. I am a traditional student and History major and while I have taken all the pre-reqs I aware of, I definitely need to do content review. I am aiming for any DO school, as I have a bit of a downward trend so I would like to compensate with my MCAT. Sorry for abbreviating, CR is just content review.

Thank you for your response Doctor, I appreciate your help. I am a traditional student and History major and while I have taken all the pre-reqs I aware of, I definitely need to do content review. I am aiming for any DO school, as I have a bit of a downward trend so I would like to compensate with my MCAT. Sorry for abbreviating, CR is just content review.
No worries at all! At least what you're telling it, a winter sprint might not be the most optimal plan. Not that it couldn't work, especially if you're looking for a DO school.

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do a summer study plan? If I were in your shoes, I would use winter to take my 1 or two weakest subjects and just focus on them. That way you build the foundation for a summer plan that pushes you to your optimal peak.

Now if take an initial practice test and you're at 500 or have a big summer plan (research, work, Machu Picchu) then I understand completely.

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No worries at all! At least what you're telling it, a winter sprint might not be the most optimal plan. Not that it couldn't work, especially if you're looking for a DO school.

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do a summer study plan? If I were in your shoes, I would use winter to take my 1 or two weakest subjects and just focus on them. That way you build the foundation for a summer plan that pushes you to your optimal peak.

Now if take an initial practice test and you're at 500 or have a big summer plan (research, work, Machu Picchu) then I understand completely.

Med School Tutors
I suppose the main reason I am wary of a Summer study plan is the fact I would be taking a fair bit of classes during Summer 2021. I have a downward trend so I want to make sure I can focus completely on my classes, however I could push back my MCAT studying if you think that would be optimal.

I suppose the main reason I am wary of a Summer study plan is the fact I would be taking a fair bit of classes during Summer 2021. I have a downward trend so I want to make sure I can focus completely on my classes, however I could push back my MCAT studying if you think that would be optimal.

A good point. Mixing MCAT studying with classwork is something that tends to dilute both of them. It might behoove you to take a practice test to see how much you would need. NOT a gold standard test like the AAMC, but something that lets you know whether it's possible to do a standard 'mid-undergrad' plan or would benefit from more of a scenic route.

Med School Tutors

Hi, this is my first post on here. I’ve been trying to find others with my particular situation and I’m sure it’s not unique. I took a year off after undergrad and currently I’m working full time. I plan to take the mcat in April. I work 9-5 M-F, but have weekends off. My boss knows I’ll need time to study in the spring and then additional time for interview season when the time comes so I think they’ll be flexible. My question is, how long do people usually take off to study for the exam in similar circumstances as mine? Is there some type of accelerated prep program that can condense my studying? Thanks in advance =)