Help with MD school list/possible gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sngmin424

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm from Ohio, and I'm a rising fourth year undergraduate student at Ohio State.
I have about 50 hours of shadowing and a decent amount of experiences (including volunteering and research). My gpa and MCAT score are a bit low, however. I'm sitting at a 3.6, and I scored a 511 on the exam.
I realize my stats are rather modest/average, so I can't help but think that they are gonna hold me back. I've made a rough list of schools I'm considering applying to, but I'd really like input/advice on what I should do! (I am not really considering DO schools simply because I'd really like to do surgery).

Though it wasn't originally part of my plan, I realize that taking a gap year might be necessary. (This might be tmi, but) I think my test score is a bit on the low end because I had major bowel problems throughout the first half of the exam. Still, I am unsure if I should retake since I'm not entirely confident that I could score better. I am fairly confident, however, that my gpa will improve once I finish my senior year.

Here is my rough list ( it is not in any particular order, and I'm also planning to add more). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! (Thank you for taking the time to read this!)
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Indiana University-Indianapolis
  • Wake Forest University
  • George Washington University
  • Rush University
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Saint Louis University
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
  • Drexel University
  • New York Medical College
  • University of Toledo
  • Wright State University (Boonshoft)
  • Albany Medical College
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm from Ohio, and I'm a rising fourth year undergraduate student at Ohio State.
I have about 50 hours of shadowing and a decent amount of experiences (including volunteering and research). My gpa and MCAT score are a bit low, however. I'm sitting at a 3.6, and I scored a 511 on the exam.
I realize my stats are rather modest/average, so I can't help but think that they are gonna hold me back. I've made a rough list of schools I'm considering applying to, but I'd really like input/advice on what I should do! (I am not really considering DO schools simply because I'd really like to do surgery).

Though it wasn't originally part of my plan, I realize that taking a gap year might be necessary. (This might be tmi, but) I think my test score is a bit on the low end because I had major bowel problems throughout the first half of the exam. Still, I am unsure if I should retake since I'm not entirely confident that I could score better. I am fairly confident, however, that my gpa will improve once I finish my senior year.

Here is my rough list ( it is not in any particular order, and I'm also planning to add more). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! (Thank you for taking the time to read this!)
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Indiana University-Indianapolis
  • Wake Forest University
  • George Washington University
  • Rush University
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Saint Louis University
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
  • Drexel University
  • New York Medical College
  • University of Toledo
  • Wright State University (Boonshoft)
  • Albany Medical College
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
I also forgot to mention that I am an ORM

SUNY Upstate accepts very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State