• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Help with MD school list/possible gap year?

sngmin424

Jul 8, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello! I'm from Ohio, and I'm a rising fourth year undergraduate student at Ohio State.
I have about 50 hours of shadowing and a decent amount of experiences (including volunteering and research). My gpa and MCAT score are a bit low, however. I'm sitting at a 3.6, and I scored a 511 on the exam.
I realize my stats are rather modest/average, so I can't help but think that they are gonna hold me back. I've made a rough list of schools I'm considering applying to, but I'd really like input/advice on what I should do! (I am not really considering DO schools simply because I'd really like to do surgery).

Though it wasn't originally part of my plan, I realize that taking a gap year might be necessary. (This might be tmi, but) I think my test score is a bit on the low end because I had major bowel problems throughout the first half of the exam. Still, I am unsure if I should retake since I'm not entirely confident that I could score better. I am fairly confident, however, that my gpa will improve once I finish my senior year.

Here is my rough list ( it is not in any particular order, and I'm also planning to add more). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! (Thank you for taking the time to read this!)
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Indiana University-Indianapolis
  • Wake Forest University
  • George Washington University
  • Rush University
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Saint Louis University
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
  • Drexel University
  • New York Medical College
  • University of Toledo
  • Wright State University (Boonshoft)
  • Albany Medical College
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

About the Ads

sngmin424

Jul 8, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello! I'm from Ohio, and I'm a rising fourth year undergraduate student at Ohio State.
I have about 50 hours of shadowing and a decent amount of experiences (including volunteering and research). My gpa and MCAT score are a bit low, however. I'm sitting at a 3.6, and I scored a 511 on the exam.
I realize my stats are rather modest/average, so I can't help but think that they are gonna hold me back. I've made a rough list of schools I'm considering applying to, but I'd really like input/advice on what I should do! (I am not really considering DO schools simply because I'd really like to do surgery).

Though it wasn't originally part of my plan, I realize that taking a gap year might be necessary. (This might be tmi, but) I think my test score is a bit on the low end because I had major bowel problems throughout the first half of the exam. Still, I am unsure if I should retake since I'm not entirely confident that I could score better. I am fairly confident, however, that my gpa will improve once I finish my senior year.

Here is my rough list ( it is not in any particular order, and I'm also planning to add more). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! (Thank you for taking the time to read this!)
  • Ohio State University
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Indiana University-Indianapolis
  • Wake Forest University
  • George Washington University
  • Rush University
  • Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Saint Louis University
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University
  • Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
  • Drexel University
  • New York Medical College
  • University of Toledo
  • Wright State University (Boonshoft)
  • Albany Medical College
  • Northeast Ohio Medical University
  • Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
I also forgot to mention that I am an ORM

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
SUNY Upstate accepts very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.