Help with my situation?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spider367

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating this May and was wondering if you guys could help me out. My overall GPA is a 3.25, but my BCP is only a 2.7. When I first applied, my DAT was a 17 but I've since taken it again and got a 22 AA. Is this enough to balance out the gpa or what? Also, I would much rather do some type of internship rather than a post bac but am not sure if that is necessarily the smartest route for me. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be graduating this May and was wondering if you guys could help me out. My overall GPA is a 3.25, but my BCP is only a 2.7. When I first applied, my DAT was a 17 but I've since taken it again and got a 22 AA. Is this enough to balance out the gpa or what? Also, I would much rather do some type of internship rather than a post bac but am not sure if that is necessarily the smartest route for me. Thoughts?

Thanks!

How many credits do you have in your BCP?

I think you should take some more upper level bios, get that BCP to a 3.0. Many schools filter out applicants with certain cut offs, and BCP is most likely a stat they will look to have a cut off at 3.0.

Thanks!

IMO ofc, for your particular situation....
post-bacc >>>>>>>>>> internship.
The 22 DAT is amazing, but the 2.7 bcp is red flag

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also add that my dental extracurricular activities, like shadowing and volunteering, are above average too.

One more question about a post bac. Would biology or chemistry classes taken online at my university, which offers a post bac, be acceptable or not?

If they show up as online classes on your transcript, it would be more preferable to take lecture-based courses. However, if they show up on your transcript as any other class would, go for it.

I should also add that my dental extracurricular activities, like shadowing and volunteering, are above average too.

I personally believe that shadowing and ExtraC has diminishing marginal returns. Once you get a certain number of hours and EC's, then the difference between 150 hrs and 600 hrs is not that large in my difference in regards to helping with your admission chances. ( but having 20 hrs vs 150 is a pretty big difference IMO).

I personally believe that shadowing and ExtraC has diminishing marginal returns. Once you get a certain number of hours and EC's, then the difference between 150 hrs and 600 hrs is not that large in my difference in regards to helping with your admission chances. ( but having 20 hrs vs 150 is a pretty big difference IMO).

Agreed. Don't focus too much on shadowing and ECs. GPA and DAT are really what the game's about.

lolz... not sure what else you wanna hear

alright fine, there is a good rumor going around that ASDOH highly considers applicants with lots of volunteering hours... If you have alot, maybe you have a shot with them (although I dunno if they'll be willing to look past the 2.7).... DON'T GO AROUND STACKING COMMUNITY HOURS RIGHT NOW lol, its only few schools that have this much consideration, its not worth it

My main concern now is whether or not online upper level bio courses are gonna look bad for a post bac. Online just seems so much more appealing to me then having to sit in a lecture hall all over again....

My main concern now is whether or not online upper level bio courses are gonna look bad for a post bac. Online just seems so much more appealing to me then having to sit in a lecture hall all over again....

DONT take online IMO. its somewhat sketchy, call up DENTAL SCHOOL!.... CALL THEM!.ha

You definitely need to take more classes. I've learned from applying and not getting in that what gets you in dental school are your stats..GPA and DAT. Extracurricular, like many have said only helps you so much. Especially since applicant pools are so big nowadays, that almost everyone applying will have similar experiences, it's the GPA and DAT that will set you apart. Schools just want to know if you will be able to handle their coursework, and having a low GPA will only tell them it might be risky accepting you. I know someone with good GPA and great DAT scores with no research, no internships, no volunteer and almost no shadowing get into multiple schools.

It sounds like you don't want to take anymore classes, but you have to suck it up, there are many people out there going the extra mile to get into dental school, working hard and paying their dues. You can't take the easy way out. But if you think taking a few more classes is too much, well you'll have a surprise in store when you get into dental school.

You definitely need to take more classes. I've learned from applying and not getting in that what gets you in dental school are your stats..GPA and DAT. Extracurricular, like many have said only helps you so much. Especially since applicant pools are so big nowadays, that almost everyone applying will have similar experiences, it's the GPA and DAT that will set you apart. Schools just want to know if you will be able to handle their coursework, and having a low GPA will only tell them it might be risky accepting you. I know someone with good GPA and great DAT scores with no research, no internships, no volunteer and almost no shadowing get into multiple schools.

It sounds like you don't want to take anymore classes, but you have to suck it up, there are many people out there going the extra mile to get into dental school, working hard and paying their dues. You can't take the easy way out. But if you think taking a few more classes is too much, well you'll have a surprise in store when you get into dental school.

Agreed. When you look at the competition that is out there these days, and the fact that some schools might have 2,000 - 3,000 students applying, there has to be a way to shorten the list of potential candidates. And that way, 99% of the time, is going to be by looking at GPA and DAT scores. Schools have to know that you can handle the rigors of dental school, and unfortunately volunteer work and shadowing doesn't prove that to them as much as what you have done in school does.