Help with neurology match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eg.IMG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
A non-US IMG here, step 1 score: 216, step 2 CK : 239, graduated last year and currently a neurology resident in my home country.
What are my chances in neurology match if I improve my CV? What should I work on next? Should I change plans with these scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Im no expert but my understanding is that the longer you have been out of school the hard it is to graduate. Good luck, I am assuming 216 would not be sufficient to match neuro as a non us IMG as the programs can get AMGs with similar scores or DO's or US-IMGs without visa issues easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have a shot but use FM as a back up...
What about psychiatry, or pediatrics ?
Im no expert but my understanding is that the longer you have been out of school the hard it is to graduate. Good luck, I am assuming 216 would not be sufficient to match neuro as a non us IMG as the programs can get AMGs with similar scores or DO's or US-IMGs without visa issues easier.
What about specialties other than FM, do I have any better chances with IM or pediatrics ?

Hey there,
A non-US IMG here, step 1 score: 216, step 2 CK : 239, graduated last year and currently a neurology resident in my home country.
What are my chances in neurology match if I improve my CV? What should I work on next? Should I change plans with these scores?

I would imagine many places (from bottom tier to high tier) would use a 220/220 cut-off for your scores so that will limit your options. If you take a year off and do some research, that's another line or two programs can put on your bio but the programs that care about research aren't the ones who will be looking at you. You should apply Neurology because there may be a few programs who are interested in you with your prior experience but, as others have said, you should also apply broadly to Family Medicine or even Internal Medicine (if you can't stomach kids and babies).

Reactions: 1 users