Help with Path :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1medicalstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I understand the main concepts and the mechanisms,
still do poorly on the tests .

Anything that I could do to do better and what tips do the people here have for Step 1.

I have BRS path, Robbins Review and the "famous" audio.

Please immediate help needed as there's still time to make up for my f*** up on Step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

bump

Also, I have begun reviewing last year's courses -- I need to get Path fixed - sorry I just feel that it is possible to do so - may be I have put too much pressure on myself , but I am not doing good.

Bumping twice in three minutes isn't going to get you a quicker answer.

Keep doing practice questions. Pay attention to the errors in your thinking processes that lead you to make mistakes.

On any question, ask yourself "why was the question written this way?"

Members don't see this ad :)

Anything that I could do to do better and what tips do the people here have for Step 1.

Please immediate help needed as there's still time to make up for my f*** up on Step 1.

I think part of the problem may be that you're trying to do too much. why three sources? Just get first aid, flip through the pathology part for each organ system, and memorize the key buzzwords.....don't overdo it.

i completely disagree with the above post....you NEED something besdies just FA and i think robbins review is a good question book...

You need something besides first aid for path if you want to get 90% or whatever of path questions right. If you're content getting 75% or so of the path right, first aid is fine.

why dont you try the Lange Pathology flashcards? They really help me to consolidate the Path facts (etiology, path, clinical, treatment, etc). Also, they have a case on one side and you have to guess what the disease is...which is on the other side of the card. This really helps me to connect a disease with a clinical presentation.

Thanks everyone,

Walking out of the test I know I have missed like 10 straightforward questions - that's the deal. Some of the questions are sort of basic recall and I screw up on those!! ! Now you know why the self-hatred :(

I just made it harder than necessary.

For now, I am going to quit going to lectures as I don't learn anything at all and spend my time on Path itself - this block Path is the only major test - I want to make sure I cover all the previous material with the new one and spend the last two weeks on the new material only.

I just feel that I need to look at other resources because may be I am prone to making dumb mistakes and fluster upon looking at long vignette questions.

I have just f**** it up so far.

Again thanks for all the replies

Please keep posting suggestions :thumbup:

why dont you try the Lange Pathology flashcards? They really help me to consolidate the Path facts (etiology, path, clinical, treatment, etc). Also, they have a case on one side and you have to guess what the disease is...which is on the other side of the card. This really helps me to connect a disease with a clinical presentation.

Sounds good I might take a look at those.

okay- let me preface this by saying I love path and am just starting my step 1review so take what I say with that in mind....

Have you tried question books like Robbins Review of Path? Have you done webpath? These are very difficult questions but if you know your stuff, it will help you better learn how to take questions on this subject.

Good luck.

What's really helping me in path is reading Basic path (middle Robbins) for an overview and the pics and then "memorizing" the class notes to get points on the test...Although I have been meaning to do RR and BRS, I haven't been able to yet...

I would suggest doing RR after reading Medium Robbins (or audio if you're a more auditory learner) since that's a little bit more comprehensive than the BRS.

I liked BRS. I read it outloud, and after each section, repeated everything from memory outloud to make sure that I remembered, and understood. Also drew out things on paper and on a white board.
For boards, I studied by organ system, not field, so I did path, phys, anatomy etc of CV, then of pulm, etc. I only used BRS and FA for path, and did quite well. I have heard that the flash cards are good though. I also did all the Kaplan Qbook path questions. If you have trouble getting questions right, I recommend doing hundreds of practice questions to get used to answering questions and dealing with the stress.
Good luck!

HELLO TO ALL,

good day----is there any Bangladeshi doctor in this panel??

Tnx

Tushin:confused:
you chose this thread to post your query on whether there are any bangladeshi doctors?

try the "India" subsection......will probably have better luck there.....

p.s. are you an IMG?

Yo...

You wanna kill path? Listen to the "famous audio" and take notes/annotate/transcribe it.

then buy the Rapid Review book, load up the CD and do the 500 questions and read every explanation, even the questions you got right.

To 1medicalstudent,

If your understanding is strong but you do poorly on exams, then you need to work on your recall skills. Some really good advice here was flashcards. Use them, and watch your tests scores increase.

Thanks everyone,

Walking out of the test I know I have missed like 10 straightforward questions - that's the deal. Some of the questions are sort of basic recall and I screw up on those!! ! Now you know why the self-hatred :(

I just made it harder than necessary.

For now, I am going to quit going to lectures as I don't learn anything at all and spend my time on Path itself - this block Path is the only major test - I want to make sure I cover all the previous material with the new one and spend the last two weeks on the new material only.

I just feel that I need to look at other resources because may be I am prone to making dumb mistakes and fluster upon looking at long vignette questions.

I have just f**** it up so far.

Again thanks for all the replies

Please keep posting suggestions :thumbup:

I hate when people whine about poor performance after slacking off, but this is NOT you. You are being WAY to hard on yourself. Stop saying that you've already "f**** it up so far". That is counterproductive.

RELAX A BIT.

Study diligently and see if you can identify why you are getting wrong the questions you get wrong. You've made it this far, so it isn't that you aren't intelligent enough. You may be stumbling right now, but you can still recover.

Stay positive, work hard, BUT be sure to give yourself a little time each day to relax. Being underprepared for a test is the worst, but you don't want to burn out too early, either. Balance is key, but by the tone of your language, it's clear that you are too close to burn-out stage.

Be confident, and good luck.

I see a little problem here...did you ever ever actually read your required text book???

Thanks again everyone.

Yes, I have started using the Robbins more extensively and it does help me understand concepts better.

My issue is memory recall and true the "burn out" factor right before exams.

This time around, I am going to be a little easier on myself and relax a bit.

Last block was a hard one as we had a lot to study, that probably added to stress and affected my retention capacity.

Sounds like you have a handle on what you need to do. Good luck!
:thumbup:

Thanks again everyone.

Yes, I have started using the Robbins more extensively and it does help me understand concepts better.

My issue is memory recall and true the "burn out" factor right before exams.

This time around, I am going to be a little easier on myself and relax a bit.

Last block was a hard one as we had a lot to study, that probably added to stress and affected my retention capacity.