Help with personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to help or give me a website with pointers on writing a good personal statement?

Any websites with rules, tips, outlines, do's and don'ts, and sample statements for pharmacy would be appreciated. I want to start right away now that pharmcas is up and going. Thanks.

BTW, does Triangulation still post here? He was my biggest motivator when ever he posted in my threads and others and he has been MIA on these boards. :)

Members don't see this ad.

My input:

-Always be positive, even when commenting on a negative experience.
-Don't be afraid to say how great of a candidate you are and WHY.
-Use proper grammar.
-Check your spelling.
-Avoid slang.
-Have at least 1 peer and 1 professional review your essay and comment on it.
-Use pharmacy terminology.
-Use appropriate examples.
-Say "patients" not "customers"
-Avoid giving the admissions comittee the idea that you think all pharmacists operate in the retail setting.
-Be responsive to the prompt.

i can proof read for you when you're done writing

Members don't see this ad :)
for helping a fellow aggie out =) But I still don't know where to start. I guess a sample statement would help. I'll keep researching but all I get is those stupid "pay $79.99 and we'll send you a pre-written one" type of deals. :mad:

Perhaps yous should piece at least a ROUGH outline of what you want to put in your statement and PM to someone on the boards to review. Then they can give you some feedback. I don't think this site should go the route of posting sample statements on the board; it would become an easy target for slackers to come and find a ready made personal statement that they can cut and paste into their little box on pharmcas.

The prompt for the pharmcas application is

Your Personal Statement should address why you selected pharmacy as a career and how the Doctor of Pharmacy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals.
You are limited to approximately 1 page (4500 characters, including spaces).

Make sure you include answers to all aspects of the prompt when you write your statement. Also, some schools require supplemental "letters of motivation" in addition to the pharmcas personal statement. Make sure you read the prompt for that letter as well and answer that. Unless the two prompts are identical, and even if they are, I would suggest writing two separate papers.

When I first started on my personal statement, I copied and pasted the prompt into a word document just to get motivated and then I wrote down one or two sentences for evey reason I want to become a pharmacist and sort of made a list. I did that also with my professional goals. Do this and it will at least give you a start and get the juicies flowing. The next step is to piece everything together, make it "pretty" and original and unique and add any additional "flavor" that makes you a person to the application committee, rather than another boring one page paper. I know, easier said than done.

I haven't been applied/ accepted to pharmacy school before, so if I'm way off on this, someone please speak up and correct me.

I agree with vafcarrot 100%.

Each individual definitely needs to put together his/her own framework. Your essay needs to represent you as a person. If you look outside yourself for the major content, you will not achieve that goal.

A good way to start would be to break the prompt down into pieces. Write one paragraph about each portion of the prompt. Then go from there. See what you need to add in to make it an essay that shows off your strengths as a candidate. By all means, involve others at that point. But pound out the basics on your own. No one else knows your motivations better than yourself.

I also do not mind reading over essays and offering my input.

vafcarrot is rite. when i was writing my ps, i had a big time writer's block. it's not because i didn't hv anything to say, but so much that i didn't know where to start.
so i just wrote down random thoughts about me, pharmacy, etc.
to me, it's pretty reasonable to talk about your experience ranging from work, volunteer, personal, and so forth. put it this way, applying to professional school is just like selling a product. you gotta show what you got and attract your potential buyer. and you show your stuff (interpersonal skills, problem-solving, etc) by telling them your experience. it sounds hard to do, but as long as you start early and write a little bit a day, you'll be fine.
good luck

thanks guys for the advice. that's exactly what I was hoping to find in a sample PS but I guess having you guys tell me helped even more. I'll get on it soon and send a copy of my ideas to everyone who offered their help.

EDIT: did anyone verify what jemc2000 suggested? or know of a page like that for pharmacy? My main reason for asking for a sample ps is because I want to see how it should be "built" and what jemc2000 put up is great for medicine or whatever field it was meant for. It's like writing a resume: everyone knows what they are capable of or want, but there's always specific format, wording, and unspoken rules to follow. I assume it's the same for PS for pharmacy.

eddie269 said:
thanks guys for the advice. that's exactly what I was hoping to find in a sample PS but I guess having you guys tell me helped even more. I'll get on it soon and send a copy of my ideas to everyone who offered their help.

EDIT: did anyone verify what jemc2000 suggested? or know of a page like that for pharmacy? My main reason for asking for a sample ps is because I want to see how it should be "built" and what jemc2000 put up is great for medicine or whatever field it was meant for. It's like writing a resume: everyone knows what they are capable of or want, but there's always specific format, wording, and unspoken rules to follow. I assume it's the same for PS for pharmacy.
I've helped a few people write personal statments (mostly med, but one pharmacy). Both prompts are about the same, so I wouldn't think that what the admissions people look for is very different. But the first thing is to realize that they aren't grading you, the purpose of a personal statement is to make yourself stand out more than numbers. Writing a resume in paragraph form is not going to help, since they can read about your experiences from your application.

My advice is usually to think of a few things you want to say about yourself, and think of specific examples or situations where you demonstrated that, or learned it. You want to answer the prompt, so one should be why you chose pharmacy; this is likely to correspond to what a PharmD will do for your goals. Usually, at least one should demonstrate what a good person you are (stress something specific though: communication skills, compassion, determination), and one might be related to your physical abilities (ability to handle the academic load, or special skills that are useful in the field). If you have a certain event that made you want to be a pharmacist, write about that. Again, write it by describing an event, talk about what it shows, and why it's important.

Finally, try to tie together everything with an overall theme, message about yourself, etc. Some people use an analogy to something they are really passionate about (e.g. a hobby where all of these traits are also used). Or maybe in each case, you wanted to do more but couldn't, and the degree will allow you to do so. You don't need it, but doesn't it just seem so much nicer when you read something and everything comes together in the end? Remember, the people who read these might be experienced in reading them, but they most likely aren't English teachers looking at the structure of your essay. They are looking for something to make you stand out and to know that you are sincere about wanting to do this. Don't stress about format or wording, focus on finding something that will make them remember you and want to know more about you.

Oh, and try not to be as long-winded as this is. 4500 characters runs out quickly. If you are running out of space, try replacing big words with small ones, and use only one space after periods if necessary.

when it was time to write my personal statements, i bought one of those "how to write graduate admission essays" cheesy books. but it really helped! it takes some time b/c it's a "how-to" book that does little mini exercises. but going through everything helped me focus my PS.

one thing i do recommend, think of 3 major characteristics that you want the person reading it to know about you by the end (you're dedicated, you are motivated & driven, you are compassionate, etc... things beyond- i really want to be a pharmacist) and make sure that after you read your PS, or whoever is reading it, should have that impression.

Can you say that you didn't want to do pharmacy to begin with, and then working in the pharmacy helps you make that decision? I dont know if it would be ok or not since not all students want to do pharmacy from the beginning. I know I didn't.

Kellious said:
Can you say that you didn't want to do pharmacy to begin with, and then working in the pharmacy helps you make that decision? I dont know if it would be ok or not since not all students want to do pharmacy from the beginning. I know I didn't.

Of course you can, that is one reason they like to see you have actually worked in the field.

I did not know I wanted to do pharmacy from the beginning. I was 38 before I discovered the field and realized it offered what I wanted in a career. (And no, I'm not talking about money.)

My personal statement pretty much started out, "I never wanted to be a pharmacist..."

As far as books go, look for books by Don Asher - he's got some incredibly good advice for writing statements. Check the career center at your school, they might have some books that you can borrow. Or else, set yourself down for an hour or so at your local bookstore.