erasmus31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status
I am a MSIII who after flirting with a coupl different specialties, am starting to realize that Anesthesia is for me. I haven't done a rotation yet, but researched it thoroughly, and during 8 weeks of surgery, hung out more behind the curtain than in front of it (most likely to the detriment of my grade).

Anyway, I have VERY low Step 1 and really only have good LORs and being a US Med grad going for me. This makes audition electives that much more important to me. I am cofident I will perform well because I am very easy to get along with, work hard, start early and end late type of student and have stellar clinical grades to prove (overall grades not great b/c damn shelfs). Soooo, I must pick my auditions wisely since I may not get many interviews outside these auditions.

I would like to do residency in or around Connecticut (based on family and wifes job), and was thinking about UConn and Westchester Medical Center for auditions. I don't want to audition where I won't have much a chance to match.

1.) That being said, anyone know of other programs in NY, Mass, NJ that might fit what I am looking for ??? Or are UConn and WMC good choices? Either to apply to or audition???

BTW, I do plan on taking Step 2 early and studying damn hard for it, but since I studied so much for step 1 and have such a poor track record with standardized tests, I don't know how much it will improve.

xampower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2004
Status
erasmus31 said:
I am a MSIII who after flirting with a coupl different specialties, am starting to realize that Anesthesia is for me. I haven't done a rotation yet, but researched it thoroughly, and during 8 weeks of surgery, hung out more behind the curtain than in front of it (most likely to the detriment of my grade).

Anyway, I have VERY low Step 1 and really only have good LORs and being a US Med grad going for me. This makes audition electives that much more important to me. I am cofident I will perform well because I am very easy to get along with, work hard, start early and end late type of student and have stellar clinical grades to prove (overall grades not great b/c damn shelfs). Soooo, I must pick my auditions wisely since I may not get many interviews outside these auditions.

I would like to do residency in or around Connecticut (based on family and wifes job), and was thinking about UConn and Westchester Medical Center for auditions. I don't want to audition where I won't have much a chance to match.

1.) That being said, anyone know of other programs in NY, Mass, NJ that might fit what I am looking for ??? Or are UConn and WMC good choices? Either to apply to or audition???

BTW, I do plan on taking Step 2 early and studying damn hard for it, but since I studied so much for step 1 and have such a poor track record with standardized tests, I don't know how much it will improve.
I think you should definately consider UConn. I enjoyed my interview there and walked away with a very good impression. If private practice is what you want to do then I think this program will train you exceptionally well. Anesthesia is run by a private group there so you will difinately be prepared. Their caseload is very large and it seemed that residents got to pick their cases. All the residents seemed very happy. The Chair/ Program Director was very cool. During my entire day at UConn he never left our side except for lunch. The chair gave us the tour!!!!! I will not be ranking it in my top 5 based on location, but I think this is a great program. Definately take Step 2 early and kick it's a#&. Get a few great letters in gas or critical care and things will work out just fine. Don't be discouraged. Throw your hat into the ring at the big name programs as well. I think you'll be suprised. If Conn. is where you want to be take a look at Yale also. I did not apply to Boston or NYC programs so I can't help out here. Good luck.

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 20, 2001
NYC/Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i wouldnt waste my time auditioning at WMC....im sure you can land an interview there without auditioning there.......UCONN on the other hand I was impressed with as well......it might be a perfect location to raise a family too (being 24 yrs old, that is what I am NOT looking for at this point in my life)........def look into yale as well.....NYC has the big 4 (columbia, sinai, nyu, cornell) that I am sure you have heard about.....living in NYC can be very expensive.....i would look into auditioning at SUNY Stony Brook (but that is in eastern LI, not CT)....perfect location for raising a family and I thought it was a pretty good program based on the interview day.......

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
jolly good show
Status
erasmus31 said:

wow....mirror image of me! i'm an MSIII and the above post couldnt sum up my situation any better. Except.....i want to go to somewhere in the midwest, preferabbly Chicago for almost the same reasons as the above poster (dont worry erasmus the east coast is all yours as long as i get the midwest :) )

Like him I dont want to waste my time at places that i dont stand a chance.

any PMs or other help would be great.

Thanks

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
'less competitive' NE programs, based solely upon heresay and not solid data mind you:
Baystate- only 25 min from Hartford. Seems to be on the less competitive side. UMass, Worcester.

and Chicago/midwest: Cook County but I can't say for sure. Didn't interview me. Illinois Masonic (but it's small, still if you rank it #1 and really like it, it's doable, great location too!), UIC I think though most people there were very strong. Don't forget anything in Detroit is pretty easy, too.

OP
E

erasmus31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status
Thanks for the responses.

1.) I heard a lot of good things about UConn, but was wondering...is it competitive???

2.)Also, if I did an audition elective at Yale to get my foot in the door, would it be a wate of my time? (ie. Would Yale ever consider someone with well below average Step1, even if they did audition well with them?) Again, I'm a US Med Allo Grad, below average class rank, very low Step 1.