Help with Premed curriculum!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Felipe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to give a little background about myself. I'm a Senior majoring in Finance and Spanish. Overall, my GPA is at 3.1. However, I've only spent two years here at my present University, WSU. I transferred in with a 3.7 GPA from a institution of higher learning. I'm considering pursing a medical degree. My particular area of interest is the neurosciences, mainly psychiatry. I will be starting the basic course sequence and, hopefully, since I don't have any more general classes to take, will complete the science curriculum in 1 1/2 years. Some of my math classes suffice the medical school requirements. Would it be beneficial for me to take the calculus based physics instead of the regular basic physics? Secondly, should I go ahead and take additional calculus courses. I had taken previously calculus for business and economic majors. Finally, what courses would be beneficial for me, in addition to the normal prerequisites? (i.e. one year biology, one year general chemstry, one year organic chemistry, and one year of physics.) I would appreciate any help or suggestions. if possible, can you mail the responses to [email protected]

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Dont take any more math than calc unless you like it...Calc based Physics is easier than algebra based. fewer steps, easier derivatives. Take a micro course in addition to your prereq's and biochem if you want a class after that.

Originally posted by Felipe:
•Would it be beneficial for me to take the calculus based physics instead of the regular basic physics? Secondly, should I go ahead and take additional calculus courses.•••

Well, since the MCAT physics is only algebra based, I would take the algebra based physics. With your background, the calc physics might be easier, and I really like easy classes. ;)

I don't see any reason to take more calc courses unless you just enjoy calculus.

Other courses? I'd talk to a pre-med advisor at your school and see what they offer. I hear that biochem is a big help. I've taken histology, comparative anatomy, immunology, bacteriology, and animal physiology, but I don't start med school until next fall, so I don't know if they help or not.

Hey Felipe,
Nice to see someone from around my area. I went to Gonzaga but I am planning on going back to finish up my pre-med requisites. Send me an-mail when you get a chance and we can discuss more in detail. [email protected]

Originally posted by Felipe:
•Just to give a little background about myself. I'm a Senior majoring in Finance and Spanish. Overall, my GPA is at 3.1. However, I've only spent two years here at my present University, WSU. I transferred in with a 3.7 GPA from a institution of higher learning. I'm considering pursing a medical degree. My particular area of interest is the neurosciences, mainly psychiatry. I will be starting the basic course sequence and, hopefully, since I don't have any more general classes to take, will complete the science curriculum in 1 1/2 years. Some of my math classes suffice the medical school requirements. Would it be beneficial for me to take the calculus based physics instead of the regular basic physics? Secondly, should I go ahead and take additional calculus courses. I had taken previously calculus for business and economic majors. Finally, what courses would be beneficial for me, in addition to the normal prerequisites? (i.e. one year biology, one year general chemstry, one year organic chemistry, and one year of physics.) I would appreciate any help or suggestions. if possible, can you mail the responses to [email protected]

[email protected] •••