HELP with Prepharm Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissFamD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I just obtained my BA in Political Science and understanding how almost impossible it is to gain employment in govt, pre-law or law sectors. In my 1st 2 yrs @ a JC, i took physics, calculus, biology, and chem classes to satisfy Pre-Pharm requirements. Due to lack of focus, dedication, hardwork and commitment I averaged C's in some science classes and withdrew from others

I have done my research and I have found that I can retake Prepharm science classes in 2 yrs @ a JC as most 4-yr colleges here in CA are not accepting graduates to enroll in undergrad classes except through Open University which is expensive and of which I am not certain that academic units gained under this program will be accepted in professional graduate school like pharmacy school. With focus and hardwork, I believe I can at least average B's. Nevertheless, I wonder if there are pharmacy schools that will be tolerant and lenient enough to take recent improved grades/GPA into consideration more than previous C's, D's and/or withdrawals

I understand that these days, seconds chances are rare and almost impossible to come by but I just want to know if there's still hope, optimism for a pharmacy-hopeful to right all wrongs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Take the LSAT and try for law school, if you ask me. Why aren't you...?

If you're SET on going back to a 2 year school in order to prep up for pharmacy, then here are my thoughts:

So you took all the pre-pharmacy requirements and when you transferred to a 4 year school, you got off the science track and went to a humanities major, graduated, and are now left kind of cold. OK, so we know your pre-requisite coursework is at least 2 years old. Well, that's not good, because most academic forgiveness requires ~5+ years of time to elapse between "then and now." That said, most California admissions folks will tell you to be positive and devote yourself anew to the process. That means you'll need a 3.80 GPA at the very least in your CC coursework, and additionally, you'll really want to get experience in pharmacy.

Experience will be extremely important to you right now. As it stands, from someone who has been there, done that, and talked to a lot of people and a lot of clubs and a lot of admissions people, you look like a prototypical student who couldn't hack science classes, fell back to an easier subject, but then realized the pay sucks, and you want six figs. You look like you have no passion, drive, or ambition for the subject and you're seeking a big paycheck and that's it. While that may be far from the truth, the onus is on you to prove it to the folks looking over your app. So... get experience. Get a 3.8+ GPA. Join a pre-pharmacy or pre-medical club and get a leadership position. Show to them on your resume/CV that you REALLY know you REALLY want to be a pharmacist this time.

I write this post from a bit of experience. While I did well my first time taking the science courses in my undergrad., my majors were not particularly "hard sciences" so I had to re-take a few classes at a CC before I applied and during the process. I know I had to prove to Veronica @ UoP and Joel @ UCSF and everyone else that I knew, beyond a doubt, that I wanted to be a pharmacist. So I had to show them that I had tried other things AND I had tried pharmacy, and pharmacy won out.

Your mileage may vary but the best advice you could get right now if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE you want to be a pharmacist is to get nothing short of straight As (get all the help you need, go to tutors, go to groups, go to office hrs, you name it...) and get experience in a pharmacy. When you're sitting in an interview you'll need to be able to elucidate what a pharmacist does during a normal day, and why specifically you want to be a pharmacist. You'll also want to explain why you got Cs your first time around rather than just "I didn't have the drive to do it." That makes you sound lazy as all hell. You don't want that. Lazy people really don't change. They make a new plan, stick to it for 4 months, then get lazy again. So don't kid yourself... be proactive and explain in real terms why science didn't work out your first time. And above all else,make sure you're not out to make a quick buck, because more and more, pharmacy is more of an investment in a future earning potential as opposed to the right to print money it used to be.

Do realize that some CA schools don't "prefer" CC credits, like USC, so you are limiting yourself a little. Anyway...

HTH... and welcome back to the dark side. We've missed you.

Oh - And about Open Univ., the classes are just fine for pharmacy schools.

Hello All,
I just obtained my BA in Political Science and understanding how almost impossible it is to gain employment in govt, pre-law or law sectors. In my 1st 2 yrs @ a JC, i took physics, calculus, biology, and chem classes to satisfy Pre-Pharm requirements. Due to lack of focus, dedication, hardwork and commitment I averaged C's in some science classes and withdrew from others

I have done my research and I have found that I can retake Prepharm science classes in 2 yrs @ a JC as most 4-yr colleges here in CA are not accepting graduates to enroll in undergrad classes except through Open University which is expensive and of which I am not certain that academic units gained under this program will be accepted in professional graduate school like pharmacy school. With focus and hardwork, I believe I can at least average B's. Nevertheless, I wonder if there are pharmacy schools that will be tolerant and lenient enough to take recent improved grades/GPA into consideration more than previous C's, D's and/or withdrawals

I understand that these days, seconds chances are rare and almost impossible to come by but I just want to know if there's still hope, optimism for a pharmacy-hopeful to right all wrongs. Thanks

retake all your sci classes as extended ed or apply to a post-bac or masters program. GL

BruceWonder, thanks for your precise answer
PassionforSci, thanks for your constructive opinion.
Thanks guys :)