Help with school list? 29 MCAT 3.97 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochemistry101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT - 29 (11/8/10)
GPA - 3.97
~125 hours volunteering at the local hospital
100 hours volunteering at local elementary school - helped with after school program for kindgergardeners
40 hours shadowing a pathologist
10 hours shadowing in an OR
3 semesters of biochemistry/photochemistry research at undergraduate college
2 summers of pharmacology research at local hospital - will be working on an honors thesis about my work this coming summer
multiple academic awards
multiple leadership positions

What schools do you think I would have a good chance at? I really want to do M.D. and not D.O. I'm also debating whether or not I should take the new MCAT in July. My adviser thinks that I might do better but I don't think I would be able to properly study for the MCAT while working on an honors thesis in the summer. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is probably not going to be a problem with the high GPA- I would add a bit more shadowing hours to your profile and try to get some diversity in your shadowing activities too.

With a 29, beggars can't be choosy.

You're competitive for:
U Rochester
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
TCMC
Quinnipiac
U Cent FL
FAU
FIU
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Gtown
GWU
NYMC
VCU
U AZ-T
U VM
EVMS
Rush
Your state school(s).
Any DO school.

MCAT - 29 (11/8/10)
GPA - 3.97
~125 hours volunteering at the local hospital
100 hours volunteering at local elementary school - helped with after school program for kindgergardeners
40 hours shadowing a pathologist
10 hours shadowing in an OR
3 semesters of biochemistry/photochemistry research at undergraduate college
2 summers of pharmacology research at local hospital - will be working on an honors thesis about my work this coming summer
multiple academic awards
multiple leadership positions

What schools do you think I would have a good chance at? I really want to do M.D. and not D.O. I'm also debating whether or not I should take the new MCAT in July. My adviser thinks that I might do better but I don't think I would be able to properly study for the MCAT while working on an honors thesis in the summer. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!