Help with School List 3.72/520/ORM Re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iammaestro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a reapplicant from the 2019-2020 cycle. Was complete at 30ish schools by August, and received 1 II and WL. After getting feedback from adcoms and reviewing my previous application, I believe my weaknesses were my PS (didn't focus enough on why medicine) and my lack of research for the schools I applied to (about half were top 20-40 research schools).

I do hope to enter academic medicine in the future, so my list may skew towards the research heavy schools. I'm just worried it may be too top heavy with my reach schools. There are some mid-tiers I can't apply to due for various reasons (namely the Florida schools and U of Cincinnati) and I do worry a bit about being yield protected from the "lower stats" schools, so I don't really have any right now.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated to round out my list!

Green is new

GPA: 3.74 cGPA/3.70 sGPA
Master's GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 520
Demographic: ORM - US citizen with no state residence but family ties to CA and Virginia/DC area.

I had 1 gap year I spent working and preparing for the MCAT before returning for grad school.

Research:
140 hours (+170 hours projected) -> 2500 hours (+1500 hours projected) clinical research, one mid-author pub + one 3rd author pub to mid-high tier journals. Developed and currently running my own multi-year studies.

Clinical Experience
100 hours (+200 hours projected) -> 200 hours (+100 hours projected) hospital volunteering in two patient facing units. COVID restrictions prevented more hours.
750 hours clinical research practicum following patients in cancer center undergoing treatment
50 hours -> 76 hours shadowing (Pain clinic and OBGYN)

Volunteer Experience
400 hours ->
500+ hours coordinating and teaching a music program in underserved communities
100 hours teaching in a music camp for students with ASD

Special/X-factor + Leadership
400 hours -> 500+ hours sitting board member on a registered charity that I helped create. During my first app cycle, I was the executive director of the organization when it was just a local NPO that was started at my university.
300 hours coordinator for international conference for high-school students at my university

Misc: Classically trained pianist, various other artistic projects but nothing too significant.

Following Year
Completing masters (thesis), continued hospital volunteer work (hopefully), and working on expanding charity to new universities/nationwide.

School List (Red are new schools I'm applying to)
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
Stanford

Columbia
UCSF
Yale
Mayo Clinic
Wash U
U Pitt
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U MI
Mount Sinai
Chicago Pritzker
Weil Cornell
UCSD
UCLA
Case Western
USC
U VA
Boston U
Ohio State
Rochester
U Iowa
Dartmouth
Tufts
Jefferson
GWU
Wayne State
U VM
U of AZ - Phoenix
Western Michigan
NYU LI

Considering adding EVMS or Creighton instead of some of my reaches, but I have no real ties to the area and I'm afraid of yield protection due to my MCAT.

@Faha @Goro I would appreciate any input again! Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you Faha, would you recommend removing a school to fit in EVMS? I realized that I actually already have Hofstra on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since they will be reapplying to so many schools, how would schools feel about high stat reapplicant?

Since they will be reapplying to so many schools, how would schools feel about high stat reapplicant?

Thank you again! Also I am curious about NonTrad's question, would @Goro have any insight on this? I heard there can be some bias against high-stats reapplicants since schools may think it others have already interviewed them, but I barely got 1 at the end of the cycle.

I did overhaul my whole application and added a lot in the last 2 years, and I was wondering if that would help in my favor. From my understanding, reapplications are becoming more and more common nowadays.

Reactions: 1 user