WAMC + school list help - California, ORM, 3.9x/520

Started by MPemulis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MPemulis

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for the 2026-2027 cycle and am looking for feedback on my school list. I was thinking ~25 would be a good target, and I feel that cutting down on the reaches would help out.

I was originally going to apply last cycle, but unexpectedly lost my research position due to federal workforce reductions in 2025. I had issues finding work so I decided to wait to get more experience. My school list is a little limited because I took my MCAT in late 2023 because of this situation. But I've done research and all schools in this post will accommodate my MCAT date.

My PS centers around my clinical experience, specifically "seeing the whole person behind the diagnosis"

Demographics
ORM, male
California resident
T20 undergrad
In 2nd gap year

Stats:
GPA 3.9x
sGPA: 3.9x
MCAT: 520 (130/130/129/131)

Clinical Hours:
2700 by time of application
  • ~1700 ER tech/EMT
  • ~1000 medical scribe, outpatient
Research:
650 hours in a biomedical science lab with a mid level authorship + 1 poster presentation

Shadowing:
20 hours pathology
20 hours vascular surgery

Non-clinical volunteering:
200 hours doing a goods distribution for the unhoused. 1+ year commitment with the same organization + hold a leadership role coordinating volunteers.
60 hours assisting coordinating fundraising for cancer research + making and delivering cards to cancer patients with an on-campus student group. Over 2 years.

Thanks for your help!

Edited to include school list:
Screenshot 2026-03-28 162709.png
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Can you explain why Rutgers is a reach?

Are you planning to retake the MCAT? Just making sure with your MCAT eligibility.

Metrics okay, but I'm curious about specific schools. Did you grow up around Sacramento/Davis (for UCD)?

Your PS theme of curae personalis is fairly common; without more details here, I"m going to trust you can execute the essay and your secondaries for a persuasive mission fit argument. What do you know about each school's outreach to unhoused populations, and what does that have to do with your purpose as a physician? The shadowing exposure you have is a little curious; what department/s are you scribing?
 
Welcome to the forums.

Can you explain why Rutgers is a reach?

Are you planning to retake the MCAT? Just making sure with your MCAT eligibility.

Metrics okay, but I'm curious about specific schools. Did you grow up around Sacramento/Davis (for UCD)?

Your PS theme of curae personalis is fairly common; without more details here, I"m going to trust you can execute the essay and your secondaries for a persuasive mission fit argument. What do you know about each school's outreach to unhoused populations, and what does that have to do with your purpose as a physician? The shadowing exposure you have is a little curious; what department/s are you scribing?
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I figured Rutgers is a reach because I'm OOS.

Not planning on retaking the MCAT.

Not from the Central Valley, but I'm a CA resident and figured it was worth applying to Davis. Is being in state for them not as big a help as I'm thinking? I know they are service oriented so my total hours may be a hinderance there. That being said, I feel like my volunteer experience is a major extracurricular that I can elaborate on at length.

I'm definitely interested in street medicine programs and pursuing urban health outreach programs as a physician. Considering this more explicitly now, it might make some sense to trim school from this list who aren't as focused on those goals or are more suburban.

Regarding shadowing, my ability to shadow vascular surgery arose out of a personal connection. My interest in the speciality initially came from my experience as an EMT transporting dialysis visits.

For pathology, I did a lot of histology for my research and wanted to see how it was applied clinically Also thought it was a unique/interesting speciality because its more collegial than patient-facing.

I scribe in an ENT department.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Being in-state California is helpful. Davis seems especially drawn to California residents vs. OOS (though not impossible). But that said, there are many, many Californian applicants that you need to look out-of-state. That said, is there a reason KPSOM and NYU aren't on your list? The Chicago schools (Northwestern, Pritzker, Loyola)? Maybe the Philadelphia schools (Drexel, Temple, Penn)? Is it metrics?

Urban outreach would look different at places like Vermont and Wisconsin.