• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Help with School list (3.73/516)

tuz345

2+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

I am in need of help in creating a school list. I have schools in mind but I would really appreciate advice from experienced members on SDN.

My GPA is 3.73 and I have an MCAT score of 516. I attended a top 20 public university and I graduated May of 2017. I worked on a semester long research project during my study abroad at the National University of Singapore in an immunology lab (30 hours a week for 16 weeks). I have 19 months of full time research in clinical and translational cardiovascular research at a top 20 university in which I have had hundreds of hours of patient interaction. I have 3 abstract submissions in the Journal of American College of Cardiology (JACC). I volunteered at a clinic for refugees and the uninsured for those same 19 months. I helped coordinate a biomedical conference through a non-profit organization in December 2018. I am currently working for a precision medicine startup.

I unfortunately do not have any leadership experience from college but I am an Eagle scout. I understand that this an achievement from before college but I believe being an Eagle scout is viewed favorably. I have 5 strong letters of recommendation(Biochemistry professor, Organic Chemistry professor, English professor, Scoutmaster, and Principal Investigator for my clinical cardiovascular research). I have previously applied and only received an interview invite from my state school (University of Connecticut). This will be my last opportunity to apply to medical school because my MCAT score is from May 2018. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

My state residence is CT.

My first time applying I was put on hold by Mayo Clinic and NYU (Grossman). I am not sure if that means that I should apply to both of these schools again.

Current list so far:
    University of Connecticut
    Dartmouth
    Boston University
    Wake Forest
    Emory University
    Mayo Clinic (reach)
    Kaiser Permanente
    SUNY Downstate

I'd really appreciate any additional school suggestions.

Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Gold Member
  • Oct 14, 2011
    1. Academic Administration
      You're an Eagle Scout alumnus but you don't want to retake an MCAT because your old one is expiring? It makes me wonder how invested you really are in medicine, and with those stats and lack of success, something is going on that you may not be telling us.

About the Ads

tuz345

2+ Year Member
      Sep 1, 2016
      1. Pre-Medical
        You're an Eagle Scout alumnus but you don't want to retake an MCAT because your old one is expiring? It makes me wonder how invested you really are in medicine, and with those stats and lack of success, something is going on that you may not be telling us.

I have read from experienced members on SDN that retaking the MCAT if you already have a solid score is not advised. Scoring worse on a second attempt reflects very poorly on an applicant. I am open to taking the test again but its a decision not without risks. Seeing how different my specific section scores were from those of my practice tests showed me how varied the tests can be.

I can't really put my finger on why I haven't had success but its not due to a lack of investment. I would never have spent the time I did in research, volunteering, and being so focused on grades if I wasn't invested.

Faha

7+ Year Member
        Sep 15, 2012
        1. Attending Physician
          I suggest all these schools with your stats:
          UConn
          Quinnipiac
          Vermont
          Boston University
          Tufts
          Dartmouth
          Albany
          New York Medical College
          Hofstra
          Einstein
          Rochester
          Seton Hall
          Drexel
          Temple
          Jefferson
          Pittsburgh
          George Washington
          Georgetown
          Wake Forest
          NOVA MD
          Miami
          USF Morsani
          Tulane
          TCU-UNT
          Creighton
          St. Louis
          Loyola
          Medical College Wisconsin
          Western Michigan
          Oakland Beaumont
          Wayne State
          Cincinnati

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Gold Member
        • Oct 14, 2011
          1. Academic Administration
            IMO, the only reason you retake the MCAT is if your scores become too old for consideration (usually within 3 years before intended matriculation), but the risks are still there about a result that is worse. My initial point was that yes, being an Eagle Scout is an accomplishment but it might not impress people as much as you would hope in the screening process.

tuz345

2+ Year Member
            Sep 1, 2016
            1. Pre-Medical
              I suggest all these schools with your stats:
              UConn
              Quinnipiac
              Vermont
              Boston University
              Tufts
              Dartmouth
              Albany
              New York Medical College
              Hofstra
              Einstein
              Rochester
              Seton Hall
              Drexel
              Temple
              Jefferson
              Pittsburgh
              George Washington
              Georgetown
              Wake Forest
              NOVA MD
              Miami
              USF Morsani
              Tulane
              TCU-UNT
              Creighton
              St. Louis
              Loyola
              Medical College Wisconsin
              Western Michigan
              Oakland Beaumont
              Wayne State
              Cincinnati
              Thank you!

tuz345

2+ Year Member
              Sep 1, 2016
              1. Pre-Medical
                IMO, the only reason you retake the MCAT is if your scores become too old for consideration (usually within 3 years before intended matriculation), but the risks are still there about a result that is worse. My initial point was that yes, being an Eagle Scout is an accomplishment but it might not impress people as much as you would hope in the screening process.
                Yeah I hear you. It definitely depends on if one is lucky to get an adcom or interviewer that actually cares. In my only interview, the Dean of admissions as well as my faculty interviewer asked me a lot of questions about it.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.