Help with school list! (4.0 517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d3athbywork

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not apply with 0 hours of clinical experience (and shadowing won't save it, since that it's own category). Have you tried looking into paid clinical employment instead of clinical volunteering?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Do not apply with 0 hours of clinical experience (and shadowing won't save it, since that it's own category). Have you tried looking into paid clinical employment instead of clinical volunteering?
I am definitely not going to apply until I get clinical experience, so I might end up taking a gap year to get clinical experience if my volunteering program doesn't start up before I apply. I haven't yet tried looking into paid clinical experience, but I will!! Thank you for your suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely not going to apply until I get clinical experience, so I might end up taking a gap year to get clinical experience if my volunteering program doesn't start up before I apply. I haven't yet tried looking into paid clinical experience, but I will!! Thank you for your suggestion!

I 100% understand where you're coming from -- my clinical volunteering was going to be my clinical experience, and was also shut down by COVID. I didn't want to delay my app, so I applied to a couple of different clinical jobs (like scribing, nurse assistant, and mental health tech) and work part-time there now.

Reactions: 1 users
Your list is top heavy since you have no clinical volunteering and low non clinical volunteering hours. Applicants who are interviewed at schools such as Harvard and Columbia have many hundreds or even thousands of hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering.
IF you accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact before you apply I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Seton Hall
BU
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is top heavy since you have no clinical volunteering and low non clinical volunteering hours. Applicants who are interviewed at schools such as Harvard and Columbia have many hundreds or even thousands of hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering.
IF you accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact before you apply I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
NYMC
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Seton Hall
BU
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Thank you!! I will look into these schools!

Honestly, I'd recommend a gap year or two. You're 19; at worst that will raise concern about your maturity and at best it will be neutral for you. You also have big weaknesses with clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Kill two birds with one stone; I'd advise waiting to start medical school till you are at least 21. Good luck.

• Love
I would check out getting some certifications in your gap years since you have no clinical experience and given the COVID-19 pandemic. CPR/ALS, phlebotomy perhaps? Others can correct me. Getting experience as a job can count.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. You could do something like work as a certified nurse's assistant (they're always hiring) and volunteer. You could take a 9-5 job in something that isn't clinically related and get clinical and nonclinical experience. You could travel the world, or join the Peace Corps if you feel called to do that. But you should take a couple of years off - as many as you can without letting that stellar MCAT expire - and build your application; as it is, you have lethal flaws and time to remediate those and turn into a rock star.

Take a gap yr or two. You are insanely young and have plenty of time. Dont waste away your otherwise exceptional stats by not having clinical and non clinical volunteering. If you can work on that part of your app you could pull HMS, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford tier schools. There is no doubt youll be an MD in the future but I think you could knock it out of the park if you work on your weak areas.

Reactions: 1 users