Help with school list please

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by ScrantonicityII, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ScrantonicityII

Pre-Medical
    MCAT: 34Q
    GPA cum: 3.74, science: 3.78

CA resident

Some of my extracurriculars:
    Honors program and Dean's honors list
    Phi beta kappa and other honors societies
    volunteer tutoring (about 6 months)
    hospital volunteering at two different hospitals (include ER experience 100+ hrs total)
    undergraduate researcher (a little over 1 yr)
    helped teach undergraduate anatomy class
    volunteer at a museum (involves physiology and anatomy)
    other cultural clubs activities (pretty heavy involvement)
    intramural sports
    intern at a financial firm (minor is business related)

Current school list:

UCSF
    UCLA
    UCSD
    UCD
    UCI
    Stanford
    USC
    Loma Linda
    Boston U
    Tufts
    Harvard
    NYU
    New York Medical
    Cornell
    SUNY Upstate
    SUNY Downstate
    Stony Brook
    Albany
    Albert Einstein
    Mount Sinai
    Columbia
    U of Miami
    Baylor
    U Illinois
    Georgetown
    George Washington
    John Hopkins
    Washington University
    Mayo
    Jefferson
    Drexel

Too many reach schools? If yes, then which mid tier schools should i consider? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SketchLazy

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think you have too many reach schools but I do think you have a lot of schools in general. By my count you have about 1 reach for every 3 schools which is good, but 30 is a lot. Some of the secondaries for those schools are intense, and you want to be able to make each of your secondaries as good as your personal statement if not better. With your numbers and experiences you don't have to spam everyone, so writing secondaries that completely explain how you fit in with the school and what you might be able to contribute become more important. They'll want to know that to make sure you're not using their school as a safety. I think you should whittle down your list by 1 reach and 2 other schools until you get down to a manageable number like 20 schools. If you think you need more, you can keep the schools with little or no secondary essays like UCSF, WashU, Upstate, Buffalo, Drexel, etc. But then again, it all depends on how much you like to write.

4. ScrantonicityII

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the feedback. I think 30 is a lot too but it's hard for me to pick and choose which ones to leave out. I just want to make sure I have a few choices to choose from in the end.

5. ChemGrad08

Pre-Medical
    Why don't you remove some of the NY state schools? Upstate NY is kinda a miserable place to live if you're from CA and they favor instate anyway so it might be a bit of a waste of time. I would say a similar thing about Miami, but I'm not a huge fan of the city. Miami is a private school that accepts some oos people, but they also favor in state.