Help With School List: Undergrad 3.63, Grad 3.91, 508 in 2017 -> 519 today 2022, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kit10

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm honestly shocked at my score. 5 years ago, I received a 508. I have applied three times with that score, and decided to give it one last try. I never would have dreamed of getting a 519! I've had interviews and waitlists in the past for Loyola, Creighton, and UTMB, so hopefully this ends the dry spell with acceptances. I'm not sure where I should apply now that I have this score.

Here's some info about me:
-ORM, Texas resident
-Undergrad GPA is 3.63, BCPM I think is around 3.5.
-My last MCAT was in 2017 and was a 508.
-Light on research (~45 hours, it wasn't for me), decent volunteering in both clinical and nonclinical settings (~500 hours across the years), lots of clinical experience (>4.5k hours) across 3 different specialties. I was scribing on the front lines during the COVID pandemic.

I graduated from my grad program in 2020. It's been difficult trying to find a job, so this really has lifted my spirits.

If you need further information, let me know. Any help would be fantastic!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Hackensack
OOS MD schools tend not to interview Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Were you a Texas resident when you applied previously ?

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews. For AMCAS schools you could try
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Hackensack
OOS MD schools tend not to interview Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. Were you a Texas resident when you applied previously ?
Yep! I definitely was a TX resident when I received interviews from Creighton and Loyola. Sounds like I was lucky!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! Do you have any schools you'd add to Faha's list?
I do not tend to disagree with the list makers unless I think there may be a specific program or opportunity fit worth networking about. But as a Texas applicant, the list you got looks good. Reach out to Loyola and Creighton if you still want to go there.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not tend to disagree with the list makers unless I think there may be a specific program or opportunity fit worth networking about. But as a Texas applicant, the list you got looks good. Reach out to Loyola and Creighton if you still want to go there.
Can do, thank you!!

Quick question - I know some schools average MCAT scores. If my 508 is from five years ago, will it be used for that average? Some AMCAS schools have said they only will accept scores from <2-3 years.

Quick question - I know some schools average MCAT scores. If my 508 is from five years ago, will it be used for that average? Some AMCAS schools have said they only will accept scores from <2-3 years.
Most schools will ignore your MCAT of 508 from 5 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks - another question I just thought about was total schools to apply to. In the past, I was told to aim for 20-30 and to apply broadly. I think with current TMDSAS schools and this list, I’d be at 18 schools. Will that be enough?

I’m super grateful for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Thanks - another question I just thought about was total schools to apply to. In the past, I was told to aim for 20-30 and to apply broadly. I think with current TMDSAS schools and this list, I’d be at 18 schools. Will that be enough?

I’m super grateful for your advice. I really appreciate it!
You could add Loyola and Creighton since you previously interviewed at those schools.