Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vAlex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to apply and I was wondering if I could get some help with my school list, here are my stats to help. My personal statement is very service-oriented.

Personal: URM (Mexican), disadvantaged, urban.

GPA: 3.1 Postbacc: 3.9 MCAT: 506, big upward trend.

Activities: Spanish Interpreter (150hrs), CNA (400hrs), Hospice Volunteer (100hrs), Vascular Surgeon and Family Medicine shadowing (70 hrs), summer research-1poster, no publications (400hrs), biology tutoring (100hrs).

School list: DMCOM, PCOM, PCOM-Georgia, MUCOM, CCOM, VCOM, LUCOM

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to apply and I was wondering if I could get some help with my school list, here are my stats to help. My personal statement is very service-oriented.

Activities: Spanish Interpreter (150hrs), CNA (400hrs), Hospice Volunteer (100hrs), Vascular Surgeon and Family Medicine shadowing (70 hrs), summer research-1poster, no publications (400hrs), biology tutoring (100hrs).

Come on dude, what are you even doing? Apply to a bunch of lower-mid and low tier MD schools. Your great postbacc GPA, disadvantaged urm status, and ok MCAT is going to be guaranteed admission into several MD programs. Don't even bother applying DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I still want to apply to DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I can't recommend LUCOM.

Suggest:
KCOM
NYITCOM
UNECOM IF you're from the Northeast
KCU
UIW
AZCOM
BCOM
PacNW if you're from the Pacific NW
Touro-CA
Both Westerns
TUNCOM
RVU
For MD schools
Your state school
OR H&S
Keck (you heard me)
Hofstra
Einstein
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Netter
Wayne State
EVMS
BU
Dartmouth
Gtown
GWU

Are you applying to both, or just DO?

Sorry for the late reply, but I was planning on applying to mainly DO and just 4 state schools here in Illinois.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend LUCOM.

Suggest:
KCOM
NYITCOM
KCU
UIW
AZCOM
BCOM
Touro-CA
Both Westerns
TUNCOM
RVU
For MD schools
Your state school
OR H&S
Keck (you heard me)
Hofstra
Einstein
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Netter
Wayne State
EVMS
BU
Dartmouth
Gtown
GWU
I can't recommend LUCOM.

Suggest:
KCOM
NYITCOM
KCU
UIW
AZCOM
BCOM
Touro-CA
Both Westerns
TUNCOM
RVU
For MD schools
Your state school
OR H&S
Keck (you heard me)
Hofstra
Einstein
U Miami
The Philly Triplets
Albany
NYMC
Netter
Wayne State
EVMS
BU
Dartmouth
Gtown
GWU

Hey Goro, thanks for the help. I'm a long time lurker, so it's awesome getting your advice.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was planning on applying to mainly DO and just 4 state schools here in Illinois.
I think you should at least pick a few more MDs from Goro's list! You could have a better shot than you think, especially being URM.

Any particular reason why you wanted to apply mainly DO?

I agree that you should try to throw in some MD apps too. I would stick with the old 5, state funded DO schools and whichever is geographically convenient for you. I will say with your background you’d basically be an auto-accept at BCOM.

Don't be foolish. You have a great app. Apply to a few DO schools as a backup, but max out the MD list and you'll get into an MD school for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think you're selling yourself short man. If you were ORM yeah MD is a stretch, but as URM with a 506 and 3.9 postbac GPA with HUGE trend, you have a real shot at MD. As much as I respect DO, I think we all agree MD opens a few more doors than DO in future.