Help with school schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatu78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and wanted your opinion.

If I have 30 creds to take for Fall 17 and Spring 18 combined, that leaves me with 15 creds for each semester. However, 5 of those creds are electives. So technically, I have 25 creds to take to fulfill my bs in biology reqs. Since the 25 creds consist of harder upper level bio, I was thinking to take the 5 creds as a test and just transfer in the creds(Clep) and it wouldn't affect my GPA(help or hinder). That would make it so that I take 12 creds in Fall 17 and 13 creds in Spring 18. I'll have more time to focus on my harder classes. However, my school has a policy where 12-16 creds is basically you paying only for 12 creds. So if I take the 5 elective creds in school, then it would be "free". It might help me raise up my GPA bc usually electives are easy, but I'm afraid it will take up my time because my other classes are hard and just bc it's an elective doesn't mean I don't need to work for an A.

So should I transfer in the 5 cred electives and not let it affect my GPA or take it within the two semesters with hard classes to try to boost my GPA for that semester if it gets low? I'm also transfer student and this is my first semester (Spring 17).

I tried to explain as best as I could, if it's confusing let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dental School Admissions like to see a full course load and high GPA. My opinion, this is a no brainer: take the "free" courses to boost your GPA and showcase that you maintain a high GPA under a heavy workload.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a few single credit courses during my final year that I found interesting and that I felt would help me as a dental school applicant: ie: guitar lessons, sign language workshop, business writing, ethics in business...
You could also take a 3 credits course that could be appealing to you or that you have a strength in (whether it's computer science, art course, humanities...)

Not only were they (1-cred courses) easy to fit into the schedule since they didn't take up a huge chunk of time, but they were easier for me to do well in since I was heavily interested in the topics. If you find courses comparable to your interests outside of science they could serve as mini-breaks from your harder courses rather than added burden.

Reactions: 1 user