help with splenectomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HarveyR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After studying Firecracker, i found that there are three things that you can expect to see after splenectomy in a blood smear, Howell-Jolly bodies in RBS, Target cell and thrombocytosis. Can any please explain me the Target cell here? Or post me a link with good explanation? Thank you kind people!

Members don't see this ad.

Macrophages in the spleen remove excess plasma membrane from red cells. No spleen -> extra plasma membrane -> saggy RBC target cell

"The bacteria are then grown in antibiotic medium and only the cells containing the plasmid (and thus gene of interest and antibiotic resistance) will proliferate"

Hi everyone, I was studying this and I got confused about the gene of interest and antibiotic resistance. So why "the antibiotic resistance and the gene of interest"? I can under stand the gene of interest but why do we need the antibiotic resistance?
A kind help would be really appreciated.

Thank you beautiful people.

"The bacteria are then grown in antibiotic medium and only the cells containing the plasmid (and thus gene of interest and antibiotic resistance) will proliferate"

Hi everyone, I was studying this and I got confused about the gene of interest and antibiotic resistance. So why "the antibiotic resistance and the gene of interest"? I can under stand the gene of interest but why do we need the antibiotic resistance?
A kind help would be really appreciated.

Thank you beautiful people.

we need antibiotic resistance gene to be there on plasmid so that we can select the organism that have been transformed by the recombinant DNA containing plasmid. let's say the plasmid have tetracycline resistance gene. in order to select the colony of your interest you will add tetracycline to the heterogeneous mixture of different plasmid containing bacteria. all will be lysed except those with tetracycline resistance gene (plasmid of your interest )

Reactions: 1 user