Help with suggestions to make myself a better candidate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tavariaferrell

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats
  • 3.44 cGPA and 3.33sGPA
  • Graduated in 3 years
State of residence: TX

URM: Y, Black female
Clinical:
  • CNA 100 hours
  • plan to start shadowing next week/ have 50 hours eshadowin
  • 100 hours Hospice volunteer
Non-clinical:
  • 50 hours food bank
Research:
  • 300 hours by the end of summer and poster presentation
Extracurricular
Intramural basketball
PVSG Mentor club: Was a mentor for freshman and Sophomore students

Gap year: plan to continue working as a CNA, get more volunteering and shadowing

Awards: Scholarship, dean’s list, tri-beta honor society

If anyone has any suggestions on schools to apply to or even extra activities I should do, I know my grades aren’t the best I feel like taking 18 hours a semester really messed up my grades

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Need more non-clinical volunteering. If you kill your MCAT, you have a good chance for DO programs and maybe for some of your state MD programs.

Bluntly:
Add 200hours more non clinical volunteering
Recalibrate after MCAT, to make sure you get into the right ball park for MD.
Your GPAs are low for MD, if high MCAT, see Goro’s Guide for Reinvention. You’ll also want to spend a year doing post bacc work doing gpa repair and establishing you can handle the higher tier science classes by getting very high GPA .

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on your MCAT, your current stats might be okay for DO schools. But your ECs are weak. You really shouldn't project until you actually do the work. Many people put projections on their application and then life intervenes and stuff doesn’t get done. So be careful. But you do need at least 100+ more clinical hours. You absolutely need in person physician shadowing. You can list your eshadowing but ADCOMS will expect in person shadowing too. And you need 200+ more hours of nonclinical volunteering. I fully agree with @proudofmykids. You need to take a couple of semesters of upper division science classes. Not so much to raise your GPAs but to prove to ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of Med School.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user