Help!!

Started by smj0025
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smj0025

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a second year family medicine resident. I have decided to give up my career in clinical medicine and I want to pursue something nonclinical. I do not have a MBA, MPH, etc. Plus I do not have an unrestricted license either. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to help find a suitable job to help keep my head afloat with my student loans?
 
I am currently a second year family medicine resident. I have decided to give up my career in clinical medicine and I want to pursue something nonclinical. I do not have a MBA, MPH, etc. Plus I do not have an unrestricted license either. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to help find a suitable job to help keep my head afloat with my student loans?

Why are you giving up medicine?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why are you giving up medicine?

Mainly personal reasons plus I really do not enjoy clinical medicine. I just wanted to see if anyone personally or knows of someone that decided not to pursue the clinical side of medicine and was successful. Only reason keeping me from changing directions is the loans.
 
Finish your residency. I'll tell you why.

First, your MD/DO is basically useless without a residency. You already know this. No one here is going to tell you about some magical "suitable job" that will let you pay off your loans while paying you a good salary, because there isn't one. Considering how hard you've worked to get this far, you deserve better than to basically spend the next few decades working at a white collar middle class job that is going to leave you living paycheck to paycheck because you have six figure loans to pay back.

Second, residency sucks. People can romanticize it all they want, but it just sucks. The good news is that many of the worst things about residency, namely that you have little or no control over your schedule/location/work life balance, all can be fixed to a point of tolerability once you're an attending. Don't like your location? You can pick up and move. Hate seeing patients? Want to work fewer hours? You can quit that job and find another one if they won't let you work fewer hours, or work locums, or go into academia and teach/do research, or go into administration, or do a fellowship, or any of a large number of other options that suddenly become open to you once you have that piece of paper.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't like hearing people telling me the same things I'm telling you right now any more than you're going to like hearing them from me. But the thing is, they were right to tell me to stick it out. I'm in a position now where I can plan my way out of clinical medicine, and it's going to be a much more comfortable future with a board certification than it would have been without one. Two years from now, you will be in a much better financial and career position as well if you stick it out.
 
Finish your residency. I'll tell you why.

First, your MD/DO is basically useless without a residency. You already know this. No one here is going to tell you about some magical "suitable job" that will let you pay off your loans while paying you a good salary, because there isn't one. Considering how hard you've worked to get this far, you deserve better than to basically spend the next few decades working at a white collar middle class job that is going to leave you living paycheck to paycheck because you have six figure loans to pay back.

Second, residency sucks. People can romanticize it all they want, but it just sucks. The good news is that many of the worst things about residency, namely that you have little or no control over your schedule/location/work life balance, all can be fixed to a point of tolerability once you're an attending. Don't like your location? You can pick up and move. Hate seeing patients? Want to work fewer hours? You can quit that job and find another one if they won't let you work fewer hours, or work locums, or go into academia and teach/do research, or go into administration, or do a fellowship, or any of a large number of other options that suddenly become open to you once you have that piece of paper.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't like hearing people telling me the same things I'm telling you right now any more than you're going to like hearing them from me. But the thing is, they were right to tell me to stick it out. I'm in a position now where I can plan my way out of clinical medicine, and it's going to be a much more comfortable future with a board certification than it would have been without one. Two years from now, you will be in a much better financial and career position as well if you stick it out.

I agree. Suck it up and finish residency. Better yet, do a year or two of clinical medicine afterward, live like a resident, and pay off the loans. You will then be in the financial position and in the professional position to do something else.
 
My best friend went to Univ of Michigan Med School. Started Radiology residency. Dropped out after a year.

Spent 2 years doing MPH etc. Started ANOTHER residency. Dropped out.

Now works for the govt. Makes about $75k in a research position.

Have another friend, finished MD (USC), NEVER did residency. Did her MPH again at USC, now works in a retirement home (not exactly sure what she does).

I would say she makes 50-65K or so.