Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by richa2t, Nov 22, 2001.

  1. richa2t

    richa2t New Member

    Nov 20, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I am currently a freshman at Central Michigan University. Just working on my university program courses. I in the future i would like to make a career as a forensic pathologist i have been trying to find information on this regarding how much schooling what type and have come up a little short. I do not know if i should be earning my bachelors degree here or in a medical college and then going for my M.D ? could u help me out with this please
    Thank you
    Tara Richardson
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Resident Alien

    Jul 21, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Hi richa2t.
    Bachelor's degrees could be attained at any accredited 4-year colleges, after which you can apply to medical schools to obtain your MD degree. Im not well-versed in the residency field, and dont know whether this explanation was any better than you hoped. Sorry for being so rusty! Good luck. :)
  4. Wednesday

    Wednesday Senior Member

    Aug 12, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician

    To become a forensic pathologist you'll have to finish your bachlors degree and complete the prerequisites for medical school. (You don't always need a bachlors, but that is pretty rare). Central Michigan should be fine for this. Then you'll have to go to medical school for your MD (BTW Medical college=medical school). After that you'll do a residency in pathology, either anatomic or clinical or both. Currently to both types (AP/CP combined) the residency is five years, to do anatomic (the only one usually required for forensics) only takes four years. After residency there is a one year fellowship in forensic pathology.

    This info is from my pre-pathologist friend. There are always changes being made and things change from program to program. Just thought I could give you some idea of what's in store!

    Good luck!

Share This Page