help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denise00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm starting college this august for the first time. I'm starting at a community college then transfering to a 4year school. could someone tell what classes i should take my first two years or does it really matter i plan to major in Biology.
thanks

Denise

Members don't see this ad.

What you take is not as important as the grades you get.

You do need to meet certain requirements for medical school, however. These include Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry. Maybe something else as well.

If you are transferring to another school, make sure your transcript shows the effort you put in.

Will your GPA be put together? Will you have two separate GPAs? These are things you need to find out.

Anyway, like I said...best of luck.

I went to a specialty school where science is the only option. As for others, getting core courses out of the way in the first two years seems to be the norm.

Good luck to you. I look forward to hearing how you are doing!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

AAMCAS has a way of calculating an overall GPA of all of the classes you have taken at various schools. They will also see your separate GPAs via transcripts, but they will mainly focus on the overall GPA.

If you are planning to major in biology, you should be all set for your pre-med requirements and MCAT preparation. The MCAT mainly focuses on genetics, general biology, physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry. You may also want to consider taking courses such as anatomy/physiology, microbiology, or biochemistry since these subjects can be mentioned on the MCAT and they can also look good on your transcript.

actually, some schools (only a few) require biochemistry- u of minnesota is one, i think maybe michigan? also many schools require at least 6 semester credits (2 courses) in english/literature. one thing i have found in my research is that schools like an applicant to have studied his/her chosen field in depth, whatever it may be. so if you are a biology major, i would definitely recommend genetics, cell biology, physiology, embryology etc. but humanities are also important- one course i wish i would have taken is spanish- some schools, esp. those in urban areas (e.g. new york university) recommend it, but it is not required. remember also that, along with bio, orgo, chemistry, and physics most schools require some lab work as well. good luck!