Help....

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calman00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last may from Cal with a BA in Integrative biology. My undergrad Science and overall GPA is 2.5. Should I just retake the classes at a JC and apply or will the opt schools just look at my undergrad GPA?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you can retake the classes at a 4 year university, I would. If a JC is the only school near your home, that would probably be OK. But, classes from a university do look better.

I always tell people that JC classes are fine to take some classes, but if you are re-taking a lot classes for a better grade, I would think it would raise some eye brows.

Of course, you should call some of the schools you are interested in attending.

Hey! Just retake classes...or do what I did - do a Masters! YOU can do a Masters of Science in Gerontology at Umass, Boston ONLINE from CA!! I am here in Boston so I do ONLINE and class :) I am doing the Masters classes and retaking some Biology classes.

You aren't alone my friend. I have a 2.8 in my undergrad and my Major was Biology.
:) Don't give up hope!!

I agree that your best bet would be to contact the schools you're interested in attending. They will be able to offer you the best advice. Usually someone will be more than willing to work with you.

Getting a master's sounds like a nice idea if it's something you want to do.

I would imagine that taking some more advanced science and math classes would do better than retaking a lot of classes. Work hard in those, get better grades, and the upward trend will speak volumes. They want to know that you can handle the difficult coursework and that you're serious about your desire to be an optometrist.

Also, study hard for the OAT. A good score can buffer a few bad grades.