Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ontained my master degree (Nursing)from Case Western in 97 with a 3.0 overall GPA and then I bagan working as consultant with research projects for a biological company. I had a 3.34 GPA overall and 3.32 science from undergraduate study 8 years ago. Six months ago, I gave birth to a child with cleft lip and palate, which triggers my motivation to persue dentistry. However, I scored a 18 academic and 19 perceptual on the DAT while I was working and taking care of my son's first surgery together. Please give me any suggestion if you think I still have chance to have interview or get into dental school.
Deepest appreciation.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how your graduate GPA is factored in. If we're looking only at your undergrad GPA and DAT, I think you would be able to get in to several dental schools. There were several schools with a mean GPA of about 3.3 with mean academic DAT of about 18. And there are schools with lower stats than that as well. You probably would want to beef up your application with extracurricular activities and dental related experiences.
Good luck!

Thanks for replying!
I worked in oral and plastic surgical unit as clinician nurse and clinical preceptor
about two years and volunteered for free clinic, hospice care, cleveland Chinese community, and international students. Do you think it could beef up a little bit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think those community service related activities would look wonderful. If you could squeeze in dental related experience (observing, volunteering, etc), it would be even better. Some schools really want you to have had exposure to dentistry.

Are you interseted in going to Case Western? Have you talked to them? I would think you're a shoo-in there. Ask them exactly what they would like to see from you and what courses you might need to take.

Good luck!
Richard R Scherf, DMD