Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

help!

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by bee, Sep 1, 2001.

1. bee

bee Member

Hello All! I need help... I am 11 days away from my 25th birthday and I think that I am having a mid-life crisis ( a bit early I know) I have been planning on going to med school for as long as I can remember. I applied twice before (98 and 00) and got rejected. In the meantime I have worked really hard to improve my chances, done research, publications, volunteer work, got my EMT certification, retook my MCATs and got my numbers up... Well all of a sudden I am working on my amcas this summer and I start questioning if this is what I really want to do.
    I have known about the PA profession for a long time, but was afraid that if I went for that people would think that I wasn't "smart" enough to be an M.D. Now I am beyond worrying about what other people think and am more worried about my own happiness. I know that I want my career to be in medicine, but I don't want my career to be all there is to my life.
    So after all this babbling I guess my big question is about the lifestyle of the PA. Do you really work less hours, for reasonable salary. Is it really worth it to go through 2 years of intense school instead of dragging it out to 4 years. Are PA residency programs less awful than MD ones?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bee

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc

Post Doc
    Bee-although P.A. school is only 2 years it is still fairly demanding. it is often compared to the 1st and 3rd years of med school:same classes, same rotations.md residency programs are at least 3 years while p.a. residencies are mostly 1 year long, 2 if you want another masters degree. the residency is usually the same as the first year of an md residency.for p.a.'s a residency is optional. p.a. salaries are good , usually 1/3 to 1/2 that of your supervising md($50,000-140,000 depending on specialty). the hours vary from practice to practice. you may work a 40 hr week without call or work more hours than the doc(I always do).hope this helps. :)