Help !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azahar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ! I'm an IMG ( Cuba ) and neurosurgeon there however in order to be realistic ( 40 y/o ) I applied for Psych, because I have excellent experiences in the past treating patient with PST, bipolar disorder etc.....and finally decided for Psych.Recently I had a couple of interviews and the questions were the same:

Neurosurgery is a challenge why Psy now ? I wanted died ! !but I could smile and express my ideas with truy compassion!

I will have a new one soon ! Can someone help me !

Azahar:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ! I'm an IMG ( Cuba ) and neurosurgeon there however in order to be realistic ( 40 y/o ) I applied for Psych, because I have excellent experiences in the past treating patient with PST, bipolar disorder etc.....and finally decided for Psych.Recently I had a couple of interviews and the questions were the same:

Neurosurgery is a challenge why Psy now ? I wanted died ! !but I could smile and express my ideas with truy compassion!

I will have a new one soon ! Can someone help me !

Azahar:idea:

Hi Azahar,

I'm not sure what you are so worried about? I mean, if you have a good reason for choosing psych (which you do), why not just say it? Say it with a smile.

I wish you the best.

they said that surgeons in general are narcissists and good to play on teams however they lack ability to work individually:(

Members don't see this ad :)
they said that surgeons in general are narcissists and good to play on teams however they lack ability to work individually:(

There are plenty of narcissists elsewhere, surgeons sometimes get a bad rep. for it. Be prepared to speak to attributes you have that counter this claim, and possibly have an example of how you were able to be successful on an individual basis, while also being able to consult, refer, etc as necessary.

-t

Best reply if you're called a narcissist on an interviews: "No, I just have a very strong sense of SELF. I have healthy narcissism." Then make some vague references to Kernberg, Kohut, and Ayn Rand. Criticize the interviewer if s/he doesn't understand said reference, even if you don't really understand the reference. Especially if you don't really understand the reference. And maybe refer to yourself in the third person, preferably preceded by the definite article, i.e. "The Azahar says he has a healthy sense of SELF. Man is the bridge between the lower primates and the Overman." This is how I successfully handled the numerous charges of "narcissism" that arose during my interviews, besides--of course--suggesting that my interviewer could "stand to lose 15 or so". The slack-jawed stares of my interviewers was proof that they were in awe of my responses, and thankful for my sageful advice.

But on a more serious note, did only one interviewer say this to you? Did they imply that you yourself were a narcissist, or were they speaking generally of surgeons. I agree with the above poster that surgeons get a bad rap (sometimes deserved, often not--I've met some very fun, chill surgeons). This may have just been unprofessionalism or a chip on the shoulder of one interviewer (maybe they had a really bad surgery experience, and now enjoy the chance to lord it over a former surgeon). It might have just been an effort to rattle your cage a little and see how you think on the spot, and deal with a little confrontation. And it might have just been a flat attempt at humor (maybe the language and cultural barrier distorted it?) while essentially asking "why choose something so different?" Obviously everyone is going to ask you "why switch" (and expect something other than "cause it's easier than doing another 7 year neurosurg residency"), but it seems to be common knowledge that the most common specialty switch into psych is from surgery, so they're not going to hold that against you per se. They just want to hear a cogent personal answer about why you actually like psych, and what in your background makes you realize that psych would be a good fit for you, and see that you never get rattled even if they poke you a little. Or, if you've heard this narcissism jibe more than once, maybe you give a bad vibe and need to figure out how to project yourself better. Or else that one interviewer was just a wack-job.

Mmmm, so many gray areas. Psych would be just so boring without them.
Best of luck! and for the love of god, don't do anything I said in the first paragraph!

surgeons in general are narcissists and good to play on teams however they lack ability to work individually

I agree with Chrismander's statement. If a program gave you this type of response, I'd consider some prejudice.

On a whole, yes, I do agree there are some personality types that are drawn to certain fields, and that some fields can slightly mold someone into a different persona--but this is on a whole--demographic wise.

To judge an individual on such data--that's out a line. Imagine judging someone by demographical race data? Wouldn't that be prejudice?

I hope you haven't received this treatment during an interview, or if you have, that it was minimal. Also as Chrismander mentioned, some programs intentionally try to upset people during an interview as a test of character--the so called "pressure" or "stress" interview. Often times its an act. However If you have plenty of choices for programs, I'd knock down any program that does so unless they explain to you later it was an act. An interviewer willing to give such an interview may only have been an act, but it can also be indicative of a Cluster B trait.

Mmm... surgeons do form strong opinions and many fields don't appreciate someone who speaks up. Their blunt honesty is refreshing though and they potentially make great psychiatrists once they quit surgery because they have a great sense of people's mood. They got it when they learned to navigate in hostile personality environments (aka the OR). :cool: You get to deal with all kinda personality disorders that exist with people who have anything to do with the OR.

....For your prompt opinion about it ! and I a 100% with you however we are living in a world full of contradictions and prejudices !My opinion is very simple . Neurosurgery is a science ( is like all the roads ....Rome ) example :
Left temporal epidural hematoma = right anisocoria , right Babisnky ,glasgow less than 10 .....is an example.
However psychiatry is an art , is not line , you have to put your imagination, knowlegde , your convictions , your emotions , is like if you are an oleo painter .....giving colors , forms , expressions trying to create or recuperate a better human being .
I remember that before surgery I like to get in touch with my patients asking about the future plans after surgery , if someone in the family will be at home ...things like that because and it was due to a patient with an intracranial tumor ( benign ) was very anxious and worried the night before and during the preanesthesia procedures they found obviously high blood pressure etc....well all surgery was very difficult and for the anesthesia team even worse.I concluded that such stress ( surgery ) is not tolerated if there is not a previous contact with surgeons but not in an academic frame ! is neccesary a human touch !
....and I agreed with you when you said that you can find surgeons very nice and friendly persons ! I think ....tell me if I wrong that nobody evaluated a surgeon lack :mad:of smile because they are an excellent surgeon or bad because you are smiling always ! :laugh:
Back to the point / Psychiatry is an art .... if it is contagious ...left have an epidemic.:thumbup: